Fuel shortages

57 minutes ago, stewarty said:

So whilst Brexit is not the sole reason, it has definitely made things worse.

It seems clear to me from the data that this is a problem that flowed almost entirely from the Covid shutdown in 2020 and the panic and uncertainty that gripped the continent for the following 18 months. Attributing this to Brexit is futile unless you can provide some factual basis for it.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

It seems clear to me from the data that this is a problem that flowed almost entirely from the Covid shutdown in 2020 and the panic and uncertainty that gripped the continent for the following 18 months. Attributing this to Brexit is futile unless you can provide some factual basis for it.

Which factor is the most significant, i can’t say with certainty.  But industry experts have been pointing to risks in relation to the number of HGV drivers pre COVID and pre Brexit.   So to me the only thing I am clear on is that both have made the situation more acute.  The pandemic has slowed the ability for new drivers to train and get licensed, whilst the ability of the industry to plug gaps with short term EU drivers and utilising cabotage, has turned the screw to the effects we are seeing now.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Eh, because we need more HGV drivers while we wait for tens of thousands of union-delayed HGV licence applications to be processed by DVLA employees who can't be arsed getting back behind their desks and doing their duty to the country. 

We all know HGV drivers have not enjoyed the pay and conditions they probably deserve but if things are so much worse here than across the EU then you might want to explain why so many EU drivers chose to work here prior to the Covid shutdowns.

Those DVLA employees have had a long-running battle with their employer over safety conditions due to Covid.  Duty to their country? They are not slaves, for heaven's sake. As for foreign drivers, from what I've heard, conditions are much better now in their home countries.

1 minute ago, alexscottislegend said:

Those DVLA employees have had a long-running battle with their employer over safety conditions due to Covid.  Duty to their country? They are not slaves, for heaven's sake. As for foreign drivers, from what I've heard, conditions are much better now in their home countries.

Unbelievable drivel

1 hour ago, stewarty said:

Which factor is the most significant, i can’t say with certainty.  But industry experts have been pointing to risks in relation to the number of HGV drivers pre COVID and pre Brexit.   So to me the only thing I am clear on is that both have made the situation more acute.  The pandemic has slowed the ability for new drivers to train and get licensed, whilst the ability of the industry to plug gaps with short term EU drivers and utilising cabotage, has turned the screw to the effects we are seeing now.

That's a new word for me but I can see it mentioned all the way down in the third tweet.

How many drivers is the U.K. thought to be short?

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

That's a new word for me but I can see it mentioned all the way down in the third tweet.

How many drivers is the U.K. thought to be short?

Ive seen estimates of up to 100k HGV drivers…

cabotage is the ability of EU drivers doing additional jobs in the UK once they drop off, essentially .   This is now restricted and is a contributing factor in terms of reduced capacity and reduces the ability of the haulage industry to plug gaps.  

8 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

So why has Johson granted a relaxation of visa restrictions in order to recruit 5,000 lorry drivers? By the way, I heard the Durch spokesman  for euro lorry drivers say on Radio 4 this week that conditions of employment were so unattractive here that he doubted whether any drivers would be tempted to come here temporarily.

there is no shortage of ADR drivers, but then again, going by your responses a driver is a just driver to you.

Nobody is panic buying , and George Floyd was a human rights lawyer

not sure of you are completely detached from reality or just bored and typing any old drivel in the hope of a reaction, if so, happy to indulge.

16 minutes ago, gaspard said:

there is no shortage of ADR drivers, but then again, going by your responses a driver is a just driver to you.

Nobody is panic buying , and George Floyd was a human rights lawyer

not sure of you are completely detached from reality or just bored and typing any old drivel in the hope of a reaction, if so, happy to indulge.

And they're not mobilising troops to deliver fuel. Aye, all right...

2 hours ago, stewarty said:

Ive seen estimates of up to 100k HGV drivers…

cabotage is the ability of EU drivers doing additional jobs in the UK once they drop off, essentially .   This is now restricted and is a contributing factor in terms of reduced capacity and reduces the ability of the haulage industry to plug gaps.  

If we are short by 100k then the significance of our glorious departure is very low.

Clearly something much bigger going on.

Very recently I was reading about the massive increase in the cost of container shipping from Shanghai to Los Angeles.  The charts are mind boggling. I read that this was driven by increased demand for goods in the U.S.A. since March 2020. I wonder if this driver shortage is also driven by increased demand for delivered goods in the U.K.

Either way I hope people see sense and let the market sort itself out. The feeble minded calls for planning are too painful to stand for long.

Edited by ranger_syntax