Sad to see another of the 1966 England team gone. He was playing in the very first match I ever saw, when my dad took me and my brother to Anfield to see Liverpool play West Ham. Four World Cup winners on the pitch that day. Dad pointed them all out to us - "that's Bobby Moore, captain of England, that's Geoff Hurst, scored three goals in the World Cup final, that's Martin Peters, he scored the other goal".  We were a bit young to take it in and by the time we were into football properly, Roger Hunt had gone to Bolton. He had legendary status at Liverpool and was idolised even more than St John, Keegan or Dalglish probably, although its probably a generational thing. After he retired, he ran a haulage business, based in Culceth on the outskirts of Warrington for many years. Great player.

Saw him score two at Hampden 1966. Jimmy Johnstone scored two as well in a dazzling display that wrecked England’s defence. Sadly Scotland’s defence wasn’t great either that day. 3-4.

Seems wrong to criticise Johnstone after a truly great performance but I’ll do it. While bewildering the defenders, he often bewildered himself and lost sight of the goal and his team-mates. Beat your man twice if you must but resist the temptation to do it a third time and get the ball away. That’s where Henderson was the better player. More productive. 

Fantastic theatre, though. If the game had gone on another ten minutes he would have equalised, maybe won it. On the other hand, Hunt might have got a third.

8 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Saw him score two at Hampden 1966. Jimmy Johnstone scored two as well in a dazzling display that wrecked England’s defence. Sadly Scotland’s defence wasn’t great either that day. 3-4.

Seems wrong to criticise Johnstone after a truly great performance but I’ll do it. While bewildering the defenders, he often bewildered himself and lost sight of the goal and his team-mates. Beat your man twice if you must but resist the temptation to do it a third time and get the ball away. That’s where Henderson was the better player. More productive. 

Fantastic theatre, though. If the game had gone on another ten minutes he would have equalised, maybe won it. On the other hand, Hunt might have got a third.

If I remember correctly it rained most of the morning and the pitch was in a terrible state witch back then was considered normal ,how much would both wingers be worth at today's crazy prices  .