[FT] Sparta Prague 1 - 0 Rangers

We seen the best of aribo in a forward position last night and then moved back into the midfield when hagi came on.   Id have left aribo where he was and put hagi in the central midfield position where i think he belongs.   

A performance perhaps best described as 'wet':

feeble, inept, pussillanimous, timorous, soft, spineless, and wimpish.

The team displayed no drive, no power, no aggression, no coherence, and there was no leadership.

These failings have been evident, to greater or lesser degree, in most matches this season. Result trumps performance, I am told, consistently, and persistently, to which I respond that a team cannot continually play badly , and continually get away with it. The abject outcome of Europa games, so far, results matching performances, illustrates the point.

Gawd help these lambs on Sunday against a vigorous opponent, which smells blood.

(Is all that a bit strong?)

Stalwarts of last season seem to be going through a crisis of confidence. Why would that be? Tav, Borna, even Goldson look spent, a shadow of themselves. Bassey looks a far better bet than Barisic and Patterson could only be an improvement on a captain who seems to have the weight of the world on his shoulders. Who knew that Balogun would be our most assured and effective central defender? In midfield, neither Kamara nor Davis have been unusually subdued and again the new boy Lundstram looks a far better bet. Aribo seems continually distracted and isn't contributing a fraction of last season's creativity. Scott Wright's early promise seems to have evaporated and up front .... well nuff said. 

This change didn't happen for no reason, so what is it. Frankly the whole situation smacks of a dressing room problem that's being kept from public view but is nevertheless affecting much of the squad. It's not tactics. No selection, formation or game plan would work with the current attitude. Is it time for Gerrard to sacrifice someone, pour encourager les autres, before he sacrifices the season.

Gerrard’s tetchy response to in the pre-match presser on Wednesday, when asked about this season’s form compared to last, I think was an indicator of his own frustration.  

Big game v Hibs on Sunday it has to be said.  Games where we flatter to deceive in both boxes will catch up with us soon.   Perhaps the international break comes at a good time on this occasion?

35 minutes ago, Bill said:

Frankly the whole situation smacks of a dressing room problem

That is my suspicion without a shred of evidence to back it up. 

On the other hand things happen for no particular reason. I saw Rangers dominate a competitive league competition for ten years up to the end of a treble season 63/64. Over the period the team developed and renewed. I couldn’t see anything other than a continuation of the process to more success. Season 1965 they finished 5th. That same season celtic were back in 8th and we all know what happened next.

9 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Games where we flatter to deceive

They’re not even flattering, stewarty, except maybe against Real and twenty minutes against Malmo.

The Tranmere result was a warning.