[FT] Sparta Prague 1 - 0 Rangers

8 hours ago, der Berliner said:

10k children probably all not jabbed et al ... surely tested of course, and attended to by the odd quiet adult.

It quite often happens nowadays when there's a stadium ban, UEFA will let kids in.  I think it's a great way to deal with it (although I'm no fan of the faux offended bus that football has become).  

I think we'll be lucky to get anything tomorrow evening.  We are playing poorly, Goldson is now missing and Sparta Prague are a decent side.  With SG's track record in this competition, I'm usually quite optimistic but not this time.  

Is Goldson missing due to Covid, does anyone know?

12 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I see Zenit scudded Malmö 4-0 this evening.  I'm kind of glad we didn't make the CL this season.

Well, reaching the group stages would have put a big smile on the faces of our accountants, yet, when you see the quality of football being played there, the Bears would probably have been in for a rough ride.

As Goldson and Helander are out and Simpson not in the EL squad, it looks like Balogun and Bassey, as only Leon King and Tavernier are players for that position, and given Tav`s lapses in defence against Dundee, I doubt he will be there. That also means that it probably is Lundstram, Davis and Kamara in midfield. Roofe, Morelos and Hagi up top.

Edited by der Berliner

The centre back situation is worrying. On paper we should be the better team but away from home, with our absences and in current form I don’t feel very confident. 

Morelos always raises his game in Europe so hopefully a few others can rise to the occasion too and lift the team morale. In ordinary circumstances it’s definitely a game we should be winning.

I would have liked to see Patterson get a game so that we have his running but we aren’t dropping Tavernier so I don’t know. Sakala’s pace would also add another dimension in a game where I expect us to have a lot of space on the break. Without Kent I think you do need either Wright or Sakala so that we have that ability to counter fast. 

Well, we have two options really in a defensive sense.

Move to a back three/five allowing us to play Tav / Patterson / Balogun / Bassey / Barisic which I quite like the idea of as it gives us extra defensive cover away from home but also the ability to counter quickly and directly.

Most likely though is the manager will just push Bassey into centre back alongside Balogun to maintain the status quo in terms of tactics.

Further forward, I think we'll see Sakala (or Wright) and Aribo support Morelos with Roofe available from the bench. 

We again have plenty options so it's just a case of the management team picking the right blend in the right games.