3 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

I would be amazed if they can actually link it tbh, as they will also have to consider what each of these ex players did after finishing football, with many ending their careers much earlier than todays players. 

I suspect it's now very likely that prolonged heading of a football will be linked directly to neurodegenerative conditions like dementia - and not just head-to-ball contact but also the many head-to-head collisions that take place in the act of heading a ball.

I don't think it's helpful to try to cast doubt on the trustworthiness of research or scientific analysis before seeing it. That simply risks the accusation of prejudiced denial. At the moment the pressure is simply to give the consideration of serious research and initial findings do appear to support a probable link. We should all be responsible enough to reserve judgement until more thorough reports are published.

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

One of the best sights in football is to see a winger skimming past a full back and crossing the ball for it to be headed strongly into the net. Lose that and we lose a big part of the game. I'm not for a minute doubting the science, but surely the modern ball is far removed from the old bladder we used to play with - it was just that type of ball which led to the death of Jeff Astle.

"but surely" the science is fully capable of taking that into account. I mean, I doubt it's wisdom that's unique to you.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

If Bill gets his way, it would've been 0-0 at Ibrox today.  

I don’t believe I’ve expressed a preference either way but given the goals-to-crosses ratio it might be more profitable if we tried other routes. 

Edited by Bill

Boxing might be in bother then.  Running wrecks your legs, so that should be looked at.  The dangers faced in extreme sports, like mountain climbing...etc. 

In Boxing, hurting someone is the name of the game, I'm not a fan so have no beef with it, let them manage their own sport. Running doesn't wreck your legs, that particular myth has been debunked years ago, and as for other extreme sports, the benefits far outweigh the risks. There's thousands of people climbing in Scotland on a weekend, yet very few accidents as the ethos of the sport is built around safety.

If we went on all evidence, it's the sofa and the microwave that would be banned, and folk going to the pub would be wearing head protection. ?

Truth is, if there is a direct link, and the evidence would suggest there is, then it will end up being taken out of the game. It wouldn't bother me, I don't fear change, there would be obvious advantages, no more would we be binning talented boys at 12 years old because their parents are 5'6", we'd never have to suffer Ross Tokely and his ilk, the game would be played where it should be, on the ground.

Bring it on.

Edit - 

but surely the modern ball is far removed from the old bladder we used to play with

Weight of the ball matters not a jot, it's force that does the damage, Force = mass x acceleration, modern balls are whipped in at speed, if you watch old footage, crosses were looped affairs (because of the weight of the ball). Also, players are fitter and generally stronger than they were in Astles day, so it's potentially worse now. 

Edited by Devil's advocaat

Why single football out though, when other sports have their own dangers?

BTW my grandmother is suffering badly from dementia at the moment and as someone who suffered a serious head injury a few years ago, this isn't a subject I take lightly.