Gerrard to Newcastle?

Unlikely. He’s done well enough so far but the importance of the title win last season perhaps puts enough of a gloss on his achievement to disguise the absence of any of the domestic cups on his sideboard. With the money at Newcastle’s disposal they must be looking for someone with longer experience and greater success.

If the job is offered to Gerrard, should he take it? Failure anywhere would damage his main ambition to get the Liverpool job but you could argue that failure at Rangers is worse than failure at Newcastle. He should take the chance if it comes.

Let's look at his record one premier league title a flop in the cup competitions a couple of decent runs in the Thursday night cup and dont forget last year's premier league was probably the weakest one since its inception at Ibrox he cant do much wrong and we will have to accept that as job done, but I think the geordies need a lot better than a greenhorn manager as for the liverpool job no the yanks want someone to bring success he would be out of his depth .

Initially I thought that Newcastle would want a big name Manager befitting of their new status a mega rich club with big ambitions and that talk of Gerrard was misplaced.

Having watched their performance yesterday, the reality is that they are struggling and their ambitions must be longer term. In that scenario, Gerrard is not an unreasonable suggestion. They can sell it to their fans as a national icon to lead them on their journey to the top. Having an English manager also helps deflect the attention from foreign ownership.

It may also temp Gerrard - Lots of money to build a team. Gain a managerial reputation in England over the next couple of years. Then well placed to take the Liverpool job that many expect him to do eventually. Assuming he can to stop them being relegated this year, he'll be hailed on Tyneside as the new messiah.

It's a bit risky as it may not work out for him and then his reputation is damaged but most  managers never seem to take this into account as they think that they have the special touch.

I hope he stays with us,. I hope Newcastle are deluded into thinking there will be instant turn round and that they deserve a big name. I also hope they crash and burn, but that's only me being bitter - the memory of the 1969 fairs cup semi has left a deep scar. 

Setting aside the issue of whether or not Gerrard is in contention for the NUFC job, unless directors have good reason for thinking Gerrard is still going to be at Ibrox in 5 years time then they already need to be compiling a list of possible successors. We can't afford this to be only an issue of Gerrard's ambitions with Rangers waiting passively for him to decide his priorities.

Gerrard will move on be it Newcastle, or some other team somewhere down the line. 

I'm sure our Director of Football will not only be looking at players to improve our team but also managers and backroom staff.

However, with no disrespect to SG and his staff, I'm sure Newcastle and their fans will be looking for a manager with a proven record. They are on course to be relegated, wonder what Big Sam is up to? 

4 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Gerrard will move on be it Newcastle, or some other team somewhere down the line. 

I'm sure our Director of Football will not only be looking at players to improve our team but also managers and backroom staff.

However, with no disrespect to SG and his staff, I'm sure Newcastle and their fans will be looking for a manager with a proven record. They are on course to be relegated, wonder what Big Sam is up to? 

He and Alan Pardew will be 1 and 2 at Newcastle with Lennon as Director of Football :)