Anybody buying  into these things the hype sounds good but i have seen one system installed and it wasn't worth a monkey's 

problems , 

freezing in the ground

not enough hot water/water not hot enough

bigger electric bills

the projected payback from the system is poor

and expensive this £5000 grant wont go anywhere near covering you cost look at somewhere between £18000 and  £23000

thank god it wont bother me at my age but i think it will be a complete bollocks .

From what I have read:

Just the ticket if you live in a new, triple insulated, hermetically sealed box, designed to high green standards. 

Retro fitting is tricky, and it is likely that new rads will be necessary, or new floors, as they seem to work best with underfloor heating; you're probably talking about stripping the external wall linings and replacing with high performance insulation.  Maybe replacing windows. 

You will need a hot water cylinder indoors. 

They can be noisy, some say very noisy, to operate, and they need to be close to or on the wall of your hoose. 

I don 't know about the size and power output to volume ratio, but I imagine, the bigger the house, the higher the ceilings, the bigger the pump, the greater the space required for the installation. 

Apart from which there is a paucity of pukka installers/maintenance fitters.

So, for the time being, keep on the, ahem, back burner. 

Edited by Uilleam

You will need plenty of storage as combi/condensing boiler owners will need to reinstall a cylinder , then there is the outside extractor, heat pump and controller plus the larger rads to make any noticeable heat difference. In fact most people will detect that their water isn't as hot or the rooms are not heating up as they did, unless they live in a sealed box as Uileam says. 

As Bill says, this is all for show as it will not make a jot of difference if the UK lowers its already quite low carbon footpring while China, Russia, India, Germany, and Indonesia pump out approaching 60% of the worlds pollution.

In fact China and Russia aren't even bothering to attend COP, but it will not stop the insufferable Swedish brat lecturing the naughty West for letting the plebs get on flights or drive their cars, or heat their homes - how dare they!!!

Edited by ChelseaBoy
edit

Last nights news reported the scotch assemblies latest anxiety in respect of the carbon polluting Scottish Islands air routes.

Lots of blah blah blah from interested parties and self back patters, but no remedy was actually specified.

Unless they have a fleet of oatmeal powered zeppelins hangered up at Prestwick I fear a reduction in services is inevitable,  thus reducing the devolved admins subsidy expenditure.