29 minutes ago, Frankie said:

The lack of attacking intent from the full-backs (who seem positionally uncertain) is a big issue as all our attacking play is from deeper areas with neither Morelos, Roofe or Hagi interested (or able) to run into any space behind defences.

It's very easy for teams to block their service, meaning Morelos has to come deeper and deeper looking for the ball whilst we can't get it quickly enough to Hagi or Roofe for them to create anything.

Surely, we can be a bit more flexible tactically and personnel wise.

Agree with what you say about the lack of attacking intent from our fullbacks.

I thought Bassey had the opportunity to run riot down the left hand side but for whatever reason seemed more concerned about defending even though there was no one to cover on his side.

Hagi though i thought made many intelligent runs behind their defence but our midfield either never spotted his run or reneged making the pass over the top. 

Also thought Hagi fell way to deep when their defenders had the ball and as a team failed to press them high up all night.

I understand the desire for tactical flexibility, but, for me, we need to do what we're doing - and what we have been doing - better. That, and cut out the sh*te at the back!

It's not so much that we've been 'sussed out', but rather we're not playing our normal game very well at all. Positionally, we're complacent, and so lethargic on the ball at the moment. Cut that out and I think we'd play much better. 

Saying that, I always like to see something different. I have been saying for a while that I'd like to see a back-three formation trialled. 

Were waiting on the team hitting form  but its not happening.  Were pedestrian and predictable week in week out and Gerrard needs to take a good look at his tactics and constant backi g of under achievers.    Ive called out aribo and hagi before and ill do it again.  Wheres the end product?   For all aribos fancy play theres no goals or assists,  much like hagi.   Ive always advocated that hagi should be in the midfield and Aribo should be on the left,   im bewildered to why our manager persists with playing aribo on the right in particular.    Kent took all the flak before getting injured ,   these two main stays should have a good look at themselves.     As for Roofe,  like others hardly kicked a ball this season and im starting to wonder if we should have kept Itten and put him out on loan instead.   

Biggest problem we have though is it will be the same old lacklustre tactics that dont work with the same rigid formation and the same underachievers next game.   I know it, you all know it and the opposition know it.  And thats down to the manager.  I said he was getting it wrong at the start of the season and ill say it again.  You could see us getting better right up to winning the league under gerrard as the seasons went by but now we are stagnant to the point were going backwards.  Like our key players hes dropped the ball and needs to up his game.   He cant dine out on last seasons title win forever.

53 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

But we don’t play that way. Everything is slow tempo with balls side to side & backwards.

we need to change our style of play. We are too predictable & easy to play against.

It had changed a bit over recent weeks with Lundstrom tending to be forward thinking with his passes and runs, but that was nullified last night with him being asked to play so deep.

1 minute ago, Bluedell said:

It had changed a bit over recent weeks with Lundstrom tending to be forward thinking with his passes and runs, but that was nullified last night with him being asked to play so deep.

But, his best performances recently have been because he's been playing deep, in Davis' position? 

When he first signed he was played further forward and everyone thought he was a dud.

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

But, his best performances recently have been because he's been playing deep, in Davis' position? 

When he first signed he was played further forward and everyone thought he was a dud.

But he seemed to be playing even deeper than that last night. He seemed to have been told that he was to play as a sitting midfielder in front of the back 4 and not go forward, for much of it.

The midfield was totally disjointed.

I like Hagi as a player.

In the first half last night he made several runs, a couple in behind and the long diagonal did not happen. His other runs were into the hole, an angled ball or a simple chip ball would have found him, again did not happen. I don't think there is anything sinister in it, it's more an inability to see the runs or find him.

We are lacking pace in the forward areas and appear to have both an individual and collective inability to beat an opposition player.

However, all of the above means nothing if we continue to start games in a sluggish manner. Keystone Cops defending must stop. We have played eleven games in the Premiership and conceded ten goals. We have managed three clean sheets.

Why does it take the manager so long to see that the game plan is not working I would have made a couple of changes at half time, then again he's still a greenhorn but surely Mcallister can see it 

Substitutions have always been a bit of an issue with Gerrard.  It all seems a bit formulaic, similar to Warburton.

It's usually like for like and doesn't change how we're playing.

Bringing Wright, Sakala and Arfield on certainly won't strike fear into the opposition.