Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

Aston Villa? Aston Villa?

The only reason for going to this mid table or lower EPL club (one which, however, thinks itself no small drink), would be a -greatly- enhanced salary. 

If he wishes to manage Liverpool, ultimately, then doing some damage in the CL would be a proper calling card. He won't get that opportunity with Aston Villa. 

I've come to the personal realisation that I wouldn't be too upset at SG leaving. I don't know where this has come from, whether it's based on our current poor form, or something deeper, niggling in the back of my mind that this is as far as he can take us. I don't know... ?

I don't think SG can go from us directly to Liverpool. I think he needs another step. Newcastle was a step up, but a bad project in terms of managerial prospects. Aston Villa is also a step up, IMO. 

I'm not worried about a replacement, because our DoF should have that sorted out already. 

34 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

The only reason for going to this mid table or lower EPL club (one which, however, thinks itself no small drink), would be a -greatly- enhanced salary. 

As well as getting a much bigger transfer budget, being closer to home, getting to work with better players and playing top sides, at world class venues, regularly.  

Edited by Gonzo79

33 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

As well as getting a much bigger transfer budget, being closer to home, getting to work with better players and playing top sides, at world class venues, regularly.  

Aston Villa?

Just another middle of the table, middle of the road club, which is unlikely to win anything.

8 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Just another middle of the table, middle of the road club, which is unlikely to win anything.

A born winner might see it more as a sleeping giant and a terrific challenge.

Either way, Villa are a big club in a top league, with significant resources.  Rangers are big club in a diddy league, who just announced we're really skint.

I think Gerrard will want to see this season out at Ibrox but who knows (other than him)...

Villa sitting in 16th place two points above the relegation fight it would be a risky appointment,  in fact he might be in a lower division next season not a good place to be .

As for him taking over at Anfield that's never going to happen the scousers wouldn't tolerate his tactics he would be a worse appointment than Souness and he was and still is unliked by many   because he sold out to the Sun newspaper. 

Stay at Ibrox son this is your level .

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

A born winner might see it more as a sleeping giant and a terrific challenge.

Either way, Villa are a big club in a top league, with significant resources.  Rangers are big club in a diddy league, who just announced we're really skint.

I think Gerrard will want to see this season out at Ibrox but who knows (other than him)...

I just don't see Villa getting him any nearer the dugout at Anfield.

Looking at the betting markets earlier,  SG was a fairly strong 6/5 favourite 

If he was a cert he would be much shorter, I think. 

I'm really not sure how much is required to move these markets.

What the current pricing indicates, perhaps, is that Villa wants him.

Anyway, if he goes, he goes, and we move on.