Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

As far as i am aware Villa would have to ask permission to speak to Gerard as he is under contract till 2024.

Should this be given it would indicate to me that Rangers have asked Gerard if he wishes to do so and if yes would then show that Gerard has an interest.

All hypothetical but if Gerard did want to talk to Villa would show that he might move if offered a deal impossible to refuse.

Think of the unrest it would cause here.

Certainly looks like there's more in this story than the Newcastle rumours and that Villa are more interested.

I guess it will come down to Gerrard but I'd be surprised and disappointed if he opted to move on.

This could be a disaster for us if it turns out to be true; SG may feel he has taken us as far as he can, and in a sense that is indeed the case. But - some of the players at Ibrox are only here because of him and I can't who we could attract to follow in his shoes. McInnes would not excite me. Maybe - Callum Davidson?

Edited by alexscottislegend

We are Rangers.  If Gerrard goes, we'll bring in someone else and still be Rangers.

I'm unsure why people only think locally when a new manager might be required - there are good coaches all over the globe.

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

We're being naive if we think Aston Villa aren't an attractive club

Correct.

It’s also a club which some notable managers haven’t quite managed to shake out of its torpor. Houllier, Turner, Taylor, di Matteo. Not even McNeill or O’Neill could do it. Alex McCleish tried but failed.

39 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Correct.

It’s also a club which some notable managers haven’t quite managed to shake out of its torpor. Houllier, Turner, Taylor, di Matteo. Not even McNeill or O’Neill could do it. Alex McCleish tried but failed.

Joe Mercer

You would hope SG stays at least as long as the end of this season. Maybe getting us 56 and into the CL group stages is as much as he/one can - at this moment in time - achieve with us. We have to be objective here. Likewise, he`s been here for quite some time already and will probably be the first to admit that we have, domestically, underachieved somewhat. 

What I do fear that if he goes, a lot of the staff he has assembled at Ibrox might follow suit and thus will leave a bigger whole to plug than "just" SG`s.

If he goes, and i personally hope he stays for at least another season after this - depending on whether the league is won and at least one other trophy, how would the group feel about Lampard taking over?

He did a reasonable job at Derby getting them in the playoffs with no money and despite things ending abruptly at Chelsea, he was responsible for the emergence of several youth players inc Mount, James, Abraham, Hudson and Chalobah and those on loan elsewhere like Conor Gallagher, Anrmando Broja and Billy Gilmour.

He is used to high pressure having been a penalty taker twice on CL finals and is a serial winner as a player much like SG, In fact they were very similar players and their statistics bear this out.

Anyone violently against a move of this sort with more experience neccessary or could it be an interesting appointment that would bring just as much interest as SG has? 

Edited by ChelseaBoy
edit