Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

He came to get his first job and build his reputation.

He's done that. He's done a wonderful job.  

But it's clear he wants the Liverpool job eventually, and he'll not be able to go from us to that job. He needs another step. 

I hate to break it to you but we can't compete with (a) Villa, who spent £250M over the last season or two, or (b) the PL, the richest league in the world. 

See! I'm thinking he has done his reputation a bit of harm by jumping ship at this stage of the season! certainly has for me!.

Let's not kid ourselves on, Aston Villa is an attractive job. Biggest club in the Midlands (hate saying that as a WBA fan), playing in one of biggest / best leagues in the world, with plenty money to spend. No wonder SGs heads been turned. 

What we should be worrying about is not the departure of SG, but who replaces him. Maybe just coincidence but SG leaving so soon after terrible financial results being posted, has alarm bells ringing. 

If board are serious and want to take us forward, they'll have a list of managers earmarked to replace SG who can build on what SG has started. 

If we end up with a McInnes, Jack Ross or Callum Davidson, then our financial situation is more worrying than we thought. 

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You can be happily married but if Margot Robbie throws herself at you, you've got a decision to make (which divorce lawyer are you going to choose). :D 

For me, the only way he builds his reputation more is by getting a PL gig. 

I don't think Aston Villa are getting relegated. I agree it's not a sure thing. What happens if we lose the League this season. Does that not tarnish his reputation? There's risk everywhere. 

Huge gamble by him! it could all as easily go pear shaped! I know you, nd other Rangers fans, are not bothered by him leaving so it's easy for you to accept the fact he is jumping ship! and that is exactly what he is doing, he would have a big move at some point!

9 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Huge gamble by him! it could all as easily go pear shaped! I know you, nd other Rangers fans, are not bothered by him leaving so it's easy for you to accept the fact he is jumping ship! and that is exactly what he is doing, he would have a big move at some point!

Also a huge gamble staying. We have no money, he was clearly raging about that pre-season. If we lose league this season, we'd likely be calling for his head. 

45 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

And yet you want Ally McCoist and Steven Davis in charge... :facepalm:

Ffs that was posted with tongue in cheek I wouldn't touch him with the proverbial bargepole I would go further and  sack him from his radio spots on talksport he's hopeless at that as well ?

Edited by compo

8 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Let's not kid ourselves on, Aston Villa is an attractive job. Biggest club in the Midlands (hate saying that as a WBA fan), playing in one of biggest / best leagues in the world, with plenty money to spend. No wonder SGs heads been turned. 

What we should be worrying about is not the departure of SG, but who replaces him. Maybe just coincidence but SG leaving so soon after terrible financial results being posted, has alarm bells ringing. 

If board are serious and want to take us forward, they'll have a list of managers earmarked to replace SG who can build on what SG has started. 

If we end up with a McInnes, Jack Ross or Callum Davidson, then our financial situation is more worrying than we thought. 

If we win the league this season we are in the CL, and the club receives a huge financial boost, also he would have had the chance to spend some money for the CL.

Sorry for me he has simply jumped ship!. Is he deserting a sinking ship?

He is damaging the club by leaving at this point of a huge season!. Regardless who replaces him we will be a lot weaker for the rest of the season

Edited by ian1964

15 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

If we win the league this season we are in the CL, and the club receives a huge financial boost, also he would have had the chance to spend some money for the CL.

Sorry for me he has simply jumped ship!. Is he deserting a sinking ship?

He is damaging the club by leaving at this point of a huge season!. Regardless who replaces him we will be a lot weaker for the rest of the season

Yes he is 100% jumping ship, and you are correct in asking is he jumping from a sinking ship. Only time will tell. 

We may not necessarily be weaker without SG, that'll depend on the  calibre of replacement we have lined up, remember SG is a novice manager. Or have we been caught with our pants down and will now be "panic buying" in Poundland? Again, only time will tell.

5 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Also a huge gamble staying. We have no money, he was clearly raging about that pre-season. If we lose league this season, we'd likely be calling for his head. 

Exactly.  In the past season he has been looking mainly in the basement bargain section for players that are available to join Rangers and I think he finds that frustrating.  With the latest financial results he knows that this is not going to change any time soon and this stymies his ambitions which extend beyond winning the Scottish premiership.

As to our next manager it is not clear that we will be a very attractive proposition to some of the more celebrated names that have been bandied about.  I think we only need to look to the east end where a relative unknown landed the job to gauge the attraction of managing in the SPL.