Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

3 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

And it's entirely possible some of the players might up sticks and follow him.

Same could be said for whoever replaces him, bringing in his own players.

We have a ready made replacement for Tav, Goldson has made a lot of mistakes this season and Kent goes off the boil fairly regularly.

Why do Rangers fans care so much about Gerrard's ultimate ambition?  I couldn't give a fuck if he manages Liverpool or not.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I can’t believe no one is looking at a possible Gerrard departure and seeing an opportunity.  It’s entirely possible his replacement will bring far more success. 

While there has to be a vacancy to leave for, I think it has been apparent for some weeks that all hasn’t been well in our football club since the summer and the timing of this departure is, for me, we’ll beyond coincidence. 

I suspected that he had reached the point where he found it difficult to motivate the players.

After 3 years things often just need a fresh approach.

I was surprised when Gerrard got the job and it seemed really bleak before that.  The concern is probably that we will have few decent options available again.

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

I just can't see why he would want the Aston Villa job just now tbh? he would best served staying @ Ibrox at least until his contract is up and building his reputation, especial in Europe!.

It's a huge risk taking on the Aston Villa job on IMO, if they get relegated and on a bad wee run then theses billionaire types are quick to replace managers

He knows he won’t go straight to Anfield from Ibrox without having won a European trophy. He knows that’s not going to happen. He doesn’t have to do that at Villa, just get them playing well and threatening the top four in the league and good cup runs. No trophy needed because in the eyes of EPL clubs good performance in  the EPL is all that’s needed.

If you take Arsenal, City, Liverpool and Chelsea as the top four, only Villa, Newcastle, ‘Spurs and Everton and possibly Hammers, have the resources for a consistent challenge. Conte got the ‘Spurs job. Newcastle are too big a risk this season. West Ham don’t really have it. He’s never going to Everton. Villa’s his best chance. He may fail hopelessly but there’s a greater prospect of hopeless failure at Ibrox where hopeless failure is defined as finishing second behind celtic.

Edited by Scott7

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

What we should be worrying about is not the departure of SG, but who replaces him. Maybe just coincidence but SG leaving so soon after terrible financial results being posted, has alarm bells ringing.

Respect to a Throstle.

I agree with your post except the quote. Finance will have been on his mind but I don’t think that’s prompted his departure. Aston Villa is the causal factor. He wouldn’t be leaving for Palace, Southampton or Brighton. See my reply above to Ian.

It's can be a frustrating and frequently bumpy road supporting Rangers but the more I think about current events the more I think this might be the best thing for both Rangers and Gerrard. The way the team of last season has been unable to lift itself since the summer break was starting to tell a story that perhaps none of us wanted to listen to. I've been starting to doubt whether we are able to win the league this season the way things have gone so obviously stale. With Warburton and Caixinha still clear in the memory it would be strange not to be concerned about what a replacement manager will bring but I'm hoping the current board will better recognise what is needed. Time to look forward.