Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

I can see Villa as the means but not the root reason for Gerrard leaving. It’s not because it’s Villa, they’re just the first convenient and palatable opportunity to meet the needs of a manager who no longer wanted to be at Ibrox

The reasons he no longer wanted to be at Ibrox would be good to know. Purely selfish ambition / financial gain / career development (which I'm OK with) or something more sinister (fall out with Wilson/board, fall out with players, not getting the backing he wanted etc). Guess we'll never know.

I can understand why people are bitter about the manner of the departure.  

Players and managers come and go*, there'll always be Rangers.  

One of our greatest ever managers left and promptly went to Leicester City (I wasn't around but understand he wasn't happy about transfer funds - perhaps not entirely dissimilar to Gerrard but Wallace was a Rangers man).  

Edited by Gonzo79

I think in his heart he probably thought he’d taken us as far as he could. Sure, he could win the Premier League again, maybe a double, but he felt we had reached a ceiling in Europe  and said as much himself. 

I think the Villa opportunity provides him the opportunity to go as high as he wants to go with the substantial investment  promises that have no doubt been promised. 
I don’t think he was looking to jump ship, I think he was excited by the potential of CL football albeit aware of our limitations. 
I wish him the best, only the bitterest of fans wouldn’t. He’s delivered what we desperately needed domestically and in Europe and did it with style and class. 
He does have a career and a family to think about and so why begrudge him this big chance. He owes us nothing. We would all do the same - if offered a job closer to home with great career prospects and x5 the salary. 
We move on to our own next chapter and who knows what the future brings but we start in a better place thanks to Stevie G.