Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

Bookies have it a two man race, is there still time for an outsider to pip them at the post?

GVB still favourite but Lampard odds shortening after removing himself from the running for the Norwich job. 

IMG-20211112-WA0017.jpg

Edited by CammyF

Now the dust, generated by the heels of the management and coaching staff,  has settled, at least partially - enough to see the shape of things:

The 'deal' seems to have been completed very swiftly, so quickly, indeed, that one might assume that more than the bones of an agreement was in place before even a rumour surfaced; the agreement with AV was not rushed; this was no caprice;  Purslow and Gerrard knew.

The manager, the assistant, and the entire coaching/fitness staff have gone, too, leaving the cupboard stripped bare; the support staff must have known, also.

The performances and the results this season have been poor; players, some of them, at least, have been going through the motions; there have been the odd peaks, but very many more troughs. We might call this a malaise, which has infected the playing staff, but this malady has been passed on, it seems, at least partly, from the manager and coaches. Admittedly, some players may not have obtained their 'dream move' last summer, but one wonders if the manager persuaded, coaxed, cajoled, or, somehow, forced, them to stay, and if so, what impact any of these methods have had, beyond finance.

Clearly, whatever remedies, if any, the manager put in place have been less than wholly efficacious, and a number of performances have indicated disenchantment, at best, and complete lack of committment, at worst. 

The next few games, post-break, are, of course, Really Quite Important, including a semi final and a Euro tie. 

We are, now, battered with bullshit, bollox, and bin juice about the the abandonment of the Club....ambition, challenge, bigger budgets, size of AVFC, did well for Rangers, restored prestige, etc. etc. blah, blah, blah...... And, he stopped 10-in-a-row, something which seems of infinitely more importance to the mhanky mhob than to us: I don't regard  8 and a gimme as a 9, and I don't think effective walkovers against, what in betting parlance, we would call also rans, there to make up the numbers, represent an epoch-making achievement. Winning the title is what he and his staff were paid to do.

However, and in whatever way we call it, if not blindingly obvious, it does seem pretty much apparent that the team is underperforming, that it has shown little to persuade us that it will somehow 'click' consistently, (it is difficult to see it approaching last season's standard, which would have eg seen off Malmo, i m h o), that the manager seems bereft of a way to recover form, performances, and results,  and that £5million per annum makes a very convincing, and unarguable, soft landing.

So, Mr Gerrard, and his whole entourage, have left the Club in the lurch, in what appears a somewhat underhand manner, in great, unseemly, haste, and with a team off the boil.

This leaves the Club seeking an entire backroom staff, quickly, as there is really no-one left to take the reins, save, perhaps a couple of senior players. Most pertinent, perhaps, is that the Board now has to engage in a personnel search and negotiate terms, etc, from a position of weakness, if not of total desperation, and that is not a Good Thing. 

Whoever comes in, with staff, may see it as a free hit of a season. That does not fill me with glee, as it is imperative to retain the title, and the new man (or woman, eh?) really has to fire, and to fire up the team, immediately. 

I won't ask, "$teven who?",

because I really want to see Villa relegated. 

Edited by Uilleam

4 hours ago, johnnyk said:

To say once a Ranger always a Ranger just after he's left us at a very important time in the season and what it means to the league winner was not the best line IMO. He's done a runner in the night with the whole backroom staff that could hamper our season big style.

Like most Rangers fans I saw him as a hero after winning the title and how the club has changed in his time here and after what he said only a few weeks ago I thought he'd stay to at least the end of the season or a shot at the CL if we won the league. 

I've just lost a bit of respect for him leaving the way he did and just hope now we get in a manager and backroom staff that can take us forward even more and get off to a good start!

That's what I've been saying mate! but was told I was acting like Tim!!.

Nobody is bigger than the club! I also knew he would leave at some point! but the way he has left plus the timing is a potentially season ruining season!. Not even telling the players to their faces!.

Also claiming he is moving for better salary just doesn't wash with me, and his situation can't be compared to us normal working folk! if you are a multi millionaire moving for better money just doesn't wash with me either!.

I'm sure we will recover pretty quickly??, however if we don't and lose the league to Separate Entity FC this season handing them CL money it will be a disaster! especially since the reason the league winner will get straight into the CL is on the back of our performances in Europe!.

Slimy snake is SG IMO.

1 hour ago, Uilleam said:

Now the dust, generated by the heels of the management and coaching staff,  has settled, at least partially - enough to see the shape of things:

The 'deal' seems to have been completed very swiftly, so quickly, indeed, that one might assume that more than the bones of an agreement was in place before even a rumour surfaced; the agreement with AV was not rushed; this was no caprice;  Purslow and Gerrard knew.

The manager, the assistant, and the entire coaching/fitness staff have gone, too, leaving the cupboard stripped bare; the support staff must have known, also.

The performances and the results this season have been poor; players, some of them, at least, have been going through the motions; there have been the odd peaks, but very many more troughs. We might call this a malaise, which has infected the playing staff, but this malady has been passed on, it seems, at least partly, from the manager and coaches. Admittedly, some players may not have obtained their 'dream move' last summer, but one wonders if the manager persuaded, coaxed, cajoled, or, somehow, forced, them to stay, and if so, what impact any of these methods have had, beyond finance.

Clearly, whatever remedies, if any, the manager put in place have been less than wholly efficacious, and a number of performances have indicated disenchantment, at best, and complete lack of committment, at worst. 

The next few games, post-break, are, of course, Really Quite Important, including a semi final and a Euro tie. 

We are, now, battered with bullshit, bollox, and bin juice about the the abandonment of the Club....ambition, challenge, bigger budgets, size of AVFC, did well for Rangers, restored prestige, etc. etc. blah, blah, blah...... And, he stopped 10-in-a-row, something which seems of infinitely more importance to the mhanky mhob than to us: I don't regard  8 and a gimme as a 9, and I don't think effective walkovers against, what in betting parlance, we would call also rans, there to make up the numbers, represent an epoch-making achievement. Winning the title is what he and his staff were paid to do.

However, and in whatever way we call it, if not blindingly obvious, it does seem pretty much apparent that the team is underperforming, that it has shown little to persuade us that it will somehow 'click' consistently, (it is difficult to see it approaching last season's standard, which would have eg seen off Malmo, i m h o), that the manager seems bereft of a way to recover form, performances, and results,  and that £5million per annum makes a very convincing, and unarguable, soft landing.

So, Mr Gerrard, and his whole entourage, have left the Club in the lurch, in what appears a somewhat underhand manner, in great, unseemly, haste, and with a team off the boil.

This leaves the Club seeking an entire backroom staff, quickly, as there is really no-one left to take the reins, save, perhaps a couple of senior players. Most pertinent, perhaps, is that the Board now has to engage in a personnel search and negotiate terms, etc, from a position of weakness, if not of total desperation, and that is not a Good Thing. 

Whoever comes in, with staff, may see it as a free hit of a season. That does not fill me with glee, as it is imperative to retain the title, and the new man (or woman, eh?) really has to fire, and to fire up the team, immediately. 

I won't ask, "$teven who?",

because I really want to see Villa relegated. 

Superb

4 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Nobody is bigger than the club! I also knew he would leave at some point! but the way he has left plus the timing is a potentially season ruining season!. Not even telling the players to their faces!.

Also claiming he is moving for better salary just doesn't wash with me, and his situation can't be compared to us normal working folk! if you are a multi millionaire moving for better money just doesn't wash with me either!.

I'm sure we will recover pretty quickly??, however if we don't and lose the league to Separate Entity FC this season handing them CL money it will be a disaster! especially since the reason the league winner will get straight into the CL is on the back of our performances in Europe!.

Slimy snake is SG IMO.

You're no tim and I think you'll find a lot more will come round to your opinion when they've had some time to digest what happened.

2 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Slimy snake is SG IMO.

I agree mate, all well and nice being polite etc, and these things happen but it could cost us big if we don't hit the ground running with the new manager.

It could though be a blessing in disguise as we've not played a decent game for the full 90 mins this season and it's been hard to watch sometimes, hopefully our new manager can change that.

Aston Villa's future success or failure has no impact on Rangers FC, but as a WBA fan, I wish them nothing but misery. 

Personally, I can't harbour any ill feeling towards SG and his staff. They delivered the Holy Grail, and as I've said previously, we have lost better managers and better Rangers men and still prospered.

Others will have differing sentiments and they are free to have and display them. 

However, in the best interest of Rangers FC, let's put this behind us, focus on the future and get right behind whoever the board identify / employ as the next manager of our club / institution.