Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

38 minutes ago, Biblio said:

Let's just imagine for a moment that Gerrard stayed. Come the new Year OF match, Celtic are only two points behind. They win the match to go top. Cue hysteria for sacking the manager from the same quarters which are currently decrying the lack of loyalty. This is exactly what would have happened but I doubt whether the people screaming for the sack would describe themselves as snakes

In that, or similar, instance, the Club would be in control of the situation, and, one would like to think, making decisions in the best interests of the Club; that is a very different scenario from that of Mr Gerrard sneakily and surreptitiously engineering a departure for him and all his staff, leaving the Club in a hole, the depth of which has yet to be established. 

It has little to do, ultimately, with 'loyalty', but very much to do with the impact on the Club of the manager's underhand machinations. 

He buggered off, sharpish, very sharpish, indeed, and left the Club with a series of problems; but, och, these things happen, he is a great guy, he delivered 55, and we should be forever grateful to him. 

Not for me; and remember, before we get all misty eyed, he was paid to deliver the League Title: it was his job. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Stop playing the victim. 

Managers leave--with their backroom staff--all the time. We'll be fine.

Quite frankly, I think we'll be better off, because we've been p*sh this season.

Great post.

We are Rangers.  No player or manager matters in comparison.

Edited by Gonzo79

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Diddums.

Stop playing the victim. 

Managers leave--with their backroom staff--all the time. We'll be fine.

Quite frankly, I think we'll be better off, because we've been p*sh this season. If we were still plodding along the way we've been going, we would have been in trouble after December - and everyone would be calling for SG and his backroom staff to go. 

If something comes out that paints it in a different light, I'll put my hands up. Until then, it's conspiracy nonsense. It seems to be coming from those that least wanted him to go. They've gone a full 180. 

I agree with the last point: I too don't care what happens to him now. I'm grateful for what he's done, and now he's moved on. It was always going to happen. My focus is on my club. 

Gerrard has left us sneakily, and in the shit, and for that he deserves as much opprobrium as we can throw at him.

Whatever happens, if there is a benefit, it will be nothing to do with Gerrard; it would be Old Dame Fortune playing us right, as much as anything else.

If people, later in the hypothetical season would call for his dismissal, then the Club would have to make a decision, in its own interests, and would be able to control, substantially, any process of removal and replacement.

That is not the case when, as now, the manager and all his staff up sticks and move, rather suddenly. Note too, that the urgency required, given that there is no one left to run the team, puts the Club in a rather weak negotiating position. It's at least arguable that it is not able to control the process as it would wish. 

It has nothing to do with 'loyalty', and I don't care about Gerrard's reasons, it is about the potential impact the sudden departures will have on the  squad, and on the rest of this rather important season. 

I see no reason to wish him well, rather the opposite. 

13 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Gerrard has left us sneakily, and in the shit, and for that he deserves as much opprobrium as we can throw at him.

Whatever happens, if there is a benefit, it will be nothing to do with Gerrard; it would be Old Dame Fortune playing us right, as much as anything else.

If people, later in the hypothetical season would call for his dismissal, then the Club would have to make a decision, in its own interests, and would be able to control, substantially, any process of removal and replacement.

That is not the case when, as now, the manager and all his staff up sticks and move, rather suddenly. Note too, that the urgency required, given that there is no one left to run the team, puts the Club in a rather weak negotiating position. It's at least arguable that it is not able to control the process as it would wish. 

It has nothing to do with 'loyalty', and I don't care about Gerrard's reasons, it is about the potential impact the sudden departures will have on the  squad, and on the rest of this rather important season. 

I see no reason to wish him well, rather the opposite. 

Very well put sir, I'm sure many will see things a bit more clearly once the Stockholm syndrome wears off.