Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

5 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Knutsen should definitely be on the list. Wilson has talked about a succession plan and this guy's philosophy is based on a pressing 4-3-3 system. The more I read about him, the more I like.

I agree, but maybe just too soon? 

We might like for him to have another step at one of the top Scandinavian sides first?

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but I can't see a single thing that Kjetil Knutsen has done to warrant promoting him for the Rangers job. A fairly average management career in another footballing backwater. Do we really need another Ronny Deila?

34 minutes ago, Bill said:

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but I can't see a single thing that Kjetil Knutsen has done to warrant promoting him for the Rangers job. A fairly average management career in another footballing backwater. Do we really need another Ronny Deila?

That's a rather myopic outlook Bill. Can I ask a question? Would you take Graham Potter as our next manager?

49 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I agree, but maybe just too soon? 

We might like for him to have another step at one of the top Scandinavian sides first?

Why wait? We need to be ahead of the game here and not wait until he's beyond our reach. He's very progressive from what I've read and he's current. Gio hasn't managed at a good level for over 2 and a half years.

Is the Norwegian a risk? Of course he is but so is every managerial appointment. 

Just now, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Why wait? We need to be ahead of the game here and not wait until he's beyond our reach. He's very progressive from what I've read and he's current. Gio hasn't managed at a good level for over 2 and a half years.

Is the Norwegian a risk? Of course he is but so is every managerial appointment. 

I agree. I was merely making a suggestion. 

You're right, actually, because -- as you asked Bill -- I would have taken Potter from Ostersunds! I recall championing him at one point before we appointed SG. :D 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I agree. I was merely making a suggestion. 

You're right, actually, because -- as you asked Bill -- I would have taken Potter from Ostersunds! I recall championing him at one point before we appointed SG. :D 

Now being mentioned as the next England manager.

I think my biggest concern is that guys like Potter and Knutsen seem like longer term project managers. The crazy world we inhabit dictates that we need someone to hit the ground sprinting.

15 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Now being mentioned as the next England manager.

I think my biggest concern is that guys like Potter and Knutsen seem like longer term project managers. The crazy world we inhabit dictates that we need someone to hit the ground sprinting.

And there is where our current and recent boards let us down big style. This should have been they invested in from 2012 onwards.

2 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

That's a rather myopic outlook Bill. Can I ask a question? Would you take Graham Potter as our next manager?

Why, do you think there’s some comparison?

5 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I would say Potter's career is comparable with Knutsen. Both have led smaller Scandanavian teams to European football with a clear vision and progressive football. 

I think far too much is read into the fact they both managed in Scandinavia, as if that denominator somehow cements an undefined mysterious commonality. The idea that because Potter has recently been moderately successful at a higher level in England somehow means Knutsen will be too is a bit too facile for me.

Edited by Bill