Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

33 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I wonder who the other two candidates were, and if they are serious candidates. I'm surprised at how little we've heard of anyone except Gio. Gio's record isn't so good that it should be a coronation. One incredible season followed by two par for the course seasons at Feyenoord and then a poor season in China.

He left China as soon as pandemic arose and left his assistant there.

I've just realised that perhaps the reason why so many are hurt by SG's move is because he has left us for another club. Usually our managers are shafted because they've failed, or they retire at the end of a spell. It's quite unusual for a manager to leave us. 

I can understand why a Rangers man would be hurt by that - for us, there is no better, bigger club than Rangers. 

I think I've been so used to the managerial merry-go-round in the PL that I forgot that.  

I don't know why it took me so long to appreciate that?

50 minutes ago, Graham said:

A friend of mine whos brother works at Ibrox (not on the football side) said John Terry was on the shortlist. Not sure if thats the rumour among the staff or an actual inside line on things.

Sounds terrible.

I hope that it turns out to be a load of rubbish.

18 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

t's quite unusual for a manager to leave us

Very true. The exceptions are Souness and Wallace, first time,  sort of. He went down in terms both of geography and status to Leicester though that was more to do with not being given what he needed at Ibrox rather than a burning desire to join a great club admired since childhood. 

From the moment Gerrard arrived at Rangers there was incessant reference to his ultimate destination at Liverpool, the inference being that Rangers could only ever be a stepping stone on his march to a far greater destiny. It always irritated me that this universal truth was meekly accepted by every Rangers fan, not because aspiring to manage Liverpool was a bad thing in itself but because our opinion of our own club had apparently slipped so much that we were happy to be used as a tool in the pursuit of someone else's ambitions. Maybe now the fans of Aston Villa can take their turn to be the road under Gerrard's feet.

There are people out there who would still see managing Rangers as an end in itself. Hopefully one of them will be chosen to be our next assistant manager, so that the meek really might inherit the Earth one day.

Edited by Bill

36 minutes ago, Bill said:

From the moment Gerrard arrived at Rangers there was incessant reference to his ultimate destination at Liverpool, the inference being that Rangers could only ever be a stepping stone on his march to a far greater destiny. It always irritated me that this universal truth was meekly accepted by every Rangers fan, not because aspiring to manage Liverpool was a bad thing in itself but because our opinion of our own club had apparently slipped so much that we were happy to be used as a tool in the pursuit of someone else's ambitions. Maybe now the fans of Aston Villa can take their turn to be the road under Gerrard's feet.

There are people out there who would still see managing Rangers as an end in itself. Hopefully one of them will be chosen to be our next assistant manager, so that the meek really might inherit the Earth one day.

Trying to think who they may be. Steven Davis? Kevin Thomson? Both have potential but far too soon for them. Barry Ferguson and Mo Ross have both taken baby steps on the way to a managerial career. At the time SG was appointed our stock was so low that many were happy for us to be a stepping stone; we were not an attractive proposition for anyone and Gerrard did at least bring some prestige to us and his name alone attracted some players. Not the case now though.