Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

Wilson appointed David Wagner at Huddersfield too, which was a good appointment. 

Wagner did well at Huddersfield and is currently head coach at Young Boys in the CL after winning the Swiss league last season. 

17 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think he means Wilson, in terms of his managerial appointments. 

I agree that Hasenhuttl has done quite well. 

Just now, DMAA said:

I did mean Hasenhuttl but I don’t watch the EPL, I just did a quick search and saw he’d finished 12th in his first full season but then dropped to 15th in his second season. 

Ah. Sorry @Bill

I rate Hasenhuttl. 

A very good coach, somewhat hampered by poor player investment. 

27 minutes ago, compo said:

They would need their heads examined if they came up here. 

TBH, quite a few current and former EPL managers are essentially no-names who won FO in their lifetime as a manager or coach. And quite few of the same ilk won stuff because they threw money about them like confetti and let the quality on the park do the talking for them. I for one doubt we will get or go after any of those guys who are truly quality managers who train a current EPL team (not least because we wouldn`t pay the buyout sum).

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Whoever is chosen as the next Rangers manager, be it now or in the future, I hope it's someone who doesn't have to learn on the job and who arrives knowing exactly how he's going to approach the task. I like Gerrard, I think he's been very good for us and I'd hate to see him go right now - but, if he does, we shouldn't chose a replacement who has to go through the same learning curve as Gerrard. We should be past that point in our recovery. 

I doubt he's available but Beale would be ideal.

I can't imagine he would go without Beale, McAllister and Culshaw. Managers seem to go everywhere with their teams these days.

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Exactly.

Maybe I misinterpreted, but I thought you said put Davis in charge to learn on the job, type thing? That's like a traditional 'managerial' job of the past, whereas 'managers' now are more coaches; they must develop their philosophy. 

I would want Davis to do his apprenticeship at a lower level club, to develop his coaching ideas and philosophy before he ever gets called up for us. 

Actually I misinterpreted Compo - thinking Davis could go to Aston Villa! But I see what you're getting at.