Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

To me it will be unforgiving as no doubt the whole of his assistants are likely to go with him should he go.IMO it was them who gave the team proper education on how to play with Gerard the figurehead so it would be the we miss most.

Anyway Gerard says he loves the European nights so it will be a long time before he would see them again at Villa.

11 hours ago, Uilleam said:

It looks and sounds like a done deal. Therefore he can GTF.

He can do likewise, even if it falls through.

No point, and no profit, in the support, or the Club, mooning around like a lovesick teenager who has just been dumped.

Time to move on, and appoint a new coaching team - one which can get a better tune out of the players than SG & Co has managed this season. 

The dugs may bark, but the caravan rolls on.

Who said that?

@ian1964 ! :D 

12 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Well it seems I am in the minority so I will exit this thread, I am seriously concerned by the timing of his departure!!.

Let's hope I am worried about nothing, a new management team will come in and we will surge toward the title with immediate effect!.

I don't quite understand timing issue? 

OK--losing a manager half way through a season is less than ideal.

But, if we lose a few games in December, which is more than likely with the fixtures and our form, then there will be plenty calling for his head. There's no guarantee anyway that he's going to win the league. 

Maybe it's because we've been burned in the recent past by appointments? However, the DoF is in place, and doing a good job, so I have trust that he'll make good decisions again. 

From SG's point-of-view, the timing is just down to the fact that the Aston Villa job is available. It is an attractive job, no matter how we may see it with our blue-tinted spectacles. If the Aston Villa job wasn't available, he'd still be here. Rodgers left because Leicester came calling - why would he wait until the end of the season to get stuck with Norwich, or some basket-case? Aston Villa is a step up. 

12 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

You do have a good point if we assume that the long-term goal is to manage Liverpool. A bad spell at Villa could damage him irreversibly; alternatively he could, like Rodgers, cement his reputation. But it would be a blow to us for sure - just don't get fans seeming to wish it to happen. We could even see an exodus of players (Goldson, Tav. - Kent..) Wouldn't look so good then, would it? 

I'm excited for a change, but I wouldn't say I'm wishing it. 

Quite frankly, on current form, I don't see us doing anything. We're just limping along with really difficult away fixtures in December. 

Goldson is leaving anyway, and he's been absolutely abysmal this season. Tavernier won't be going anywhere; he was here before SG and he'll be here after. Kent could go, but if we're getting £15M+ for him then... great! 

The pessimism around this has really surprised me, to be honest.