Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

2 hours ago, compo said:

Looks to me like the directors and director of football have all been caught with their drawers down ,they must do better. 

You might want to explain that to me because, short of them spying on their employees, I'd say the opposite was probably true.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

I don’t think so compo. I think they were unhappy with the way we surrendered our chance to get £30m+ in UCL money in a pathetic fashion, to a smaller team with a smaller budget and then failed to get going even 3 months into the season, and chose not to put up any fight at all when AV came calling and SG wanted to speak to them. 

Receiving £4.5m+ and getting the chance to start a new era with, hopefully, an exciting new manager was likely a very attractive prospect for the board because we have been the second best team in this league (and second best Scottish team in Europe) since our old firm win in August, a win which only served to pull the wool over the eyes of a surprising number of fans in the months since. There is no chance Ross Wilson wasn’t actively preparing for this because it wasn’t hard to see coming. 

There have been murmurs Gerrard wasn't happy with the lack of fund this year, but when you look at the accounts, its pretty clear that if he'd qualified for the CL, he'd probably have been given some money.

The team has looked out of sorts all season and making lots of basic mistakes. That's on the coaching staff to sort out, but they've been unable to do it. So its not unreasonable to look at where we are and assume that's come in to SG's thinking too.

Presumably he's been told that Liverpool want him to have some EPL experience before they consider him for the job, but I also think that if he'd stayed, showed he could retain a title and win a cup, that would definitely have been plus points for him too. Its hard not to think he's jumped at the first offer in the EPL from a club which doesn't have off-the-field issues around ownership, finances or one of those clubs which isn't a favourite to be relegated.

McCoist summed it up when he said it leaves a bit of a sour taste when you look at the timing and circumstances, that's all it is for me.

I really don't know why so many are working so hard to defend Gerrard's legacy. I'm sure he is completely unaffected by criticism from the Rangers support, working as he is now for such a massively better club in a stellar league that probably doesn't even know we exist. 

6 minutes ago, ascender said:

McCoist summed it up when he said it leaves a bit of a sour taste when you look at the timing and circumstances, that's all it is for me.

It was increasingly clear that Gerrard had run his course at Rangers and, the way this season had started, I certainly felt this could well be his last. The only reason I harbour any negativity towards him is that he blatantly lied to us about the circumstances of his leaving. He did so because it was the only way to preserve his reputation and get what he wanted. While I understand that, I don't have to like it.

Sometimes  you need to change the situation  you're in and get a fresh start in order to kick on.   But even though I am not happy with the way he has flitted in the night, I think Gerrard is ruthless in looking out for himself, his team and the things they want to achieve.   Aston Villa makes complete sense for them, but I was only a fan while he was with us... and he better not come back for players on the cheap!

When I look back I see a Manager in Gerrard who is still cutting his teeth.  If you think back to the first season or so, he got caught up in the emotion of games, and was not as guarded in his criticisms of players/opponents etc.  To more recently where I think he was too wedded to certain favourite players and I think could have been bolder in revamping the squad by potentially moving on one or two players to finance it. 

It seems to me we held off in starting the player trading model that we are told is fundamental to our football strategy.  I think Gerrard's authority with the Board probably led to a situation where he persuaded them to provide more loans as a means of adding to the squad.  The Scottish game as we know has its limitations for players and managers with ambition, but I think we held onto Alfredo particularly for too long.  

20/20 hindsight is wonderful though.