• Michael Beale
    • Gareth Southgate
    • John Carver
    • Daniel Farke
    • Stuart McCall
    • Ally McCoist
    • Claude Puel
    • Nuno Espírito Santo

As speculation (that's speculation) increases around the future of Steven Gerrard, if he does go, who would you like to replace him?

I've posted 20 to start you off....

This is just a bit of fun but your vote and/or suggestion is visible to others.... ;)

FWIW, I think Ross Wilson will have this well in hand and it wouldn't surprise me to see someone not on that list from somewhere left-field.

In terms of familiarity then the likes of Gio or Lampard may help us maintain that high profile focal point but Beale may be the best option in terms of actual continuity for the squad and our style of play so I'd be leaning towards him - especially if we could persuade McAllister to stay on to assist him.

Tomasson is interesting - his mind games worked well for Malmo against us but he's no fool either in terms of tactics or management.

In a Scottish sense, Davidson has obviously done well at St Johnstone but it's surely much too early for Kevin Thomson and McInnes had his chance previously despite speaking well on the TV lately. 

My own choice would be Beale but I suspect he'll go with Gerrard if indeed that happens....

I mentioned Farke on the other thread.

I think he'd be ideal. German with a high-pressing and ball-possession philosophy, with the ability to develop players and bring through youngsters. 

The only issue would be his inability to keep Norwich in the PL, but that can almost be explained by the level of the squad, comparatively speaking, which is... I wouldn't even say it's high Championship level, yet his sides have dominated the Championship, comfortably.  

I would rule out Scottish coaches altogether. I just do not rate them. They don't have a recognised style of play, and I doubt their tactical ability. 

I'm also wary of those that have had success in early jobs with big clubs, like Tomasson, Gio etc., because we've seen people like Frank DeBoer win titles with Ajax, but then do nothing because it's clear that it's more to do with the club than the coaching, if you know what I mean? I think they need to have a better record than that. 

Would Lucien Favre or Paulo Fonseca be realistic targets? Maybe too high profile?

Serhiy Rebrov has done good things too, at several clubs, like Dynamo Kyiv and Ferencvaros, and he's currently in the UAE waiting for a real job! 

I'm aware of the fact I've glossed over Lampard. 

Even although he has more experience than SG, I'm not convinced.

SG was clever in bringing a capable backroom team, that gave him the tactical input. 

I don't like Lampard, as a manager.