• Gareth Southgate
    • John Carver
    • Daniel Farke
    • Stuart McCall
    • Ally McCoist
    • Claude Puel
    • Nuno Espírito Santo

3 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Martin has done a good job at Swansea and they tend to have an eye for decent managerial talent. (Martinez, Rodgers, Potter). 

Yes, and he also had MK dons playing some really nice football. 

That sounds good, but I don't think he should be a target, simply because he's not been a manager long enough. He was at MK dons for not even a year, and he's just in the door at Swansea. He needs longer before we should consider him. 

I don't like how almost everyone has written him off because it's Russell Martin, the donkey defender. I suppose it goes the other way too, with everyone plucking great players from the past as candidates, simple because they were good players. It's quite funny. Playing career has little influence on managerial prospects. 

Klopp was a failed player; Tuchel was a failure as player; Mourinho never played; Conte was an average player, but had a winning mentality; Pep was a star, learning from the best; Nagelsmann never played; Potter wasn't distinguished... etc.

I'm not against GVB, but as I said elsewhere, I still have a sneaky suspicion that he's another DeBoer: good in the Dutch League with a big team, but will fail everywhere else. 

The arguments against that is that he did have a prolonged spell of success not at the two biggest sides (Ajax and PSV), and has been studying with Pep at City Group. He's also not actually been tested outside of the Netherlands, so it would be unfair to write him off.  

We're a much different club on and off the pitch now than when we've had to consider a change of manager in the last, nearly 10 years or so. I'm sure Ross Wilson will have some names lined-up already as that's what he's there to do. I'd be really disappointed if we had to appoint a caretaker manager - I'd like to think the way this has come about means we're talking to someone and they'll be appointed quickly once SG goes.

I think someone like Gio fits the mould of how we play football and where we want to go as a club, but there might be similar sorts of manager (which is maybe where the Russell Martin link came from) we have on our shortlist. I guess in the same way that some of the players we target are ones who fit our style of play and we think we can develop them.

Lampard, Gio and Kevin Thomson fit that mould for me, but I don't know enough about some of the others on the list to really know.

Rino would be hilarious though.

Edited by ascender

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, and he also had MK dons playing some really nice football. 

That sounds good, but I don't think he should be a target, simply because he's not been a manager long enough. He was at MK dons for not even a year, and he's just in the door at Swansea. He needs longer before we should consider him. 

I don't like how almost everyone has written him off because it's Russell Martin, the donkey defender. I suppose it goes the other way too, with everyone plucking great players from the past as candidates, simple because they were good players. It's quite funny. Playing career has little influence on managerial prospects. 

Klopp was a failed player; Tuchel was a failure as player; Mourinho never played; Conte was an average player, but had a winning mentality; Pep was a star, learning from the best; Nagelsmann never played; Potter wasn't distinguished... etc.

It's confusing just how much managerial experience is required to be a successful Rangers manager? Scot Symon, Jock Wallace, Graeme Souness, Walter Smith, Steven Gerrard.

I'd go like for like with Frank Lampard - he will develop youth as he did at Derby and Chelsea and could attract some half decent players if players leave and funds are there. He has worked with no funds at Derby and resources galore at Chelsea and he is a half decent guy.

4 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

I'd go like for like with Frank Lampard - he will develop youth as he did at Derby and Chelsea and could attract some half decent players if players leave and funds are there. He has worked with no funds at Derby and resources galore at Chelsea and he is a half decent guy.

I would be really disappointed with that appointment.