• Michael Beale
    • Gareth Southgate
    • John Carver
    • Daniel Farke
    • Stuart McCall
    • Ally McCoist
    • Claude Puel
    • Nuno Espírito Santo

Well the good news is there are a good couple of choices this time round, no need to talk to people like that ex Aberdoom clown like last time, Gio for me but Lampard would do too, I have a feeling Gerrard skulking off like a snake in the grass could turn out to be a good thing ( thanks for the good times though MrG but you could have been a bit more up front especially to the players and fans who supported you 100% )

We are in such a better position on and off the pitch than last time when we were looking for a manager. Its quite exciting and I do wonder if Gerrard leaving will actually become a good thing as there was clearly something up this season.

it's not a point many want to dwell on at the moment but where does Rangers find the money to guarantee transfer funds to any prospective manager? Which you can be sure will be near the top of any wish list for the likes of GvB or Lampard? This board has shown commendable ambition in backing Gerrard during some very difficult times but we might all need to leave at least a small space for diminished expectation in this matter, pour refléter la réalité.

44 minutes ago, Bill said:

it's not a point many want to dwell on at the moment but where does Rangers find the money to guarantee transfer funds to any prospective manager? Which you can be sure will be near the top of any wish list for the likes of GvB or Lampard? This board has shown commendable ambition in backing Gerrard during some very difficult times but we might all need to leave at least a small space for diminished expectation in this matter, pour refléter la réalité.

Circa £5M in compensation and player sale(s) in January. Either that, begging bowl out to DUP. 

Edited by CammyF

10 hours ago, Bill said:

That's not how a DoF model works, or it shouldn't. 

We have a budget every year for new players, which are based on the profiles the DoF has set. 

Managers then slot in, to take charge of what's there. 

The manager has an input but they will not be dictating which players they want. That's old-school. The old-school manager role is outdated--there's not many examples left, I don't think? Managers are more like (head) coaches now. 

For me, a prime candidate has to be able to work and improve what's there. If they have to bring in their own players to make a difference to a team, then they're not the right fit.  

Hmm, I disagree with you slightly, I'd say that there is more of a collaborative effort between DoF and manager. I.e. I'm pretty sure Kent was Gerrard's pick and was agreed with the DoF. I think managers will absolutely have a say in bringing in their own players still.

18 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Hmm, I disagree with you slightly, I'd say that there is more of a collaborative effort between DoF and manager. I.e. I'm pretty sure Kent was Gerrard's pick and was agreed with the DoF. I think managers will absolutely have a say in bringing in their own players still.

I agree that it is collaborative (it should include DoF, manager, coaches, scouts and analysts), but a manager should not be dictating which players to buy -- unless, it already fits the profile that the DoF sets.