• Gareth Southgate
    • John Carver
    • Daniel Farke
    • Stuart McCall
    • Ally McCoist
    • Claude Puel
    • Nuno Espírito Santo

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I agree with the sentiments completely re dynasties, but I don't necessarily want an inexperienced manager.

We can still get capable managers,  IMO. 

If it's down to GvB and Lampard, then GvB has by far more experience. 

I suppose they are both looking at us as a stepping stone - is that what you meant?

Agreed but experience can be somewhat overrated in some cases. Especially if their most recent "experience" is generally mediocre. For example, Scotland recently got Alex McLeish in due to his "experience". Most of the good things that McLeish created happened about 13/14 years ago. Everything after that was negative and riddled with over fussy and reactionary football. Let's not forget SG had no experience whatsoever and in one season gave us an identity. Was it perfect? No. But it was a far cry from the Tims skelping us by 4/5 goals and getting beat by some no marks for Luxembourg. 

23 hours ago, gisabeer said:

The last thing we need is another stepping stone manager.

For as long as we play in Scotland I think that's all we'll ever get with the majority of players and managers. That ambition should help them do the best possible job for the club they're at though.

The thing is, what you need to have is a DOF in place and the supporting infrastructure so that when a manager does leave, you can quickly get someone new in who shares the same goals & mindset so its not a wholesale "rip everything up and start again". It feels to me like we're nearly there - albeit we need to trim the squad and add a couple of quality players.

I might be remembering this wrong, but was GVB not one of the players who admitted when he came here to play, that his ambitions were to play in England? But he was pretty honest and open about it? Maybe it was someone else from that group of players.

20 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Agreed but experience can be somewhat overrated in some cases. Especially if their most recent "experience" is generally mediocre. For example, Scotland recently got Alex McLeish in due to his "experience". Most of the good things that McLeish created happened about 13/14 years ago. Everything after that was negative and riddled with over fussy and reactionary football. Let's not forget SG had no experience whatsoever and in one season gave us an identity. Was it perfect? No. But it was a far cry from the Tims skelping us by 4/5 goals and getting beat by some no marks for Luxembourg. 

I don't mean experience in terms of longevity in the game -- that was the wrong word -- but a track record of being able to coach a side into playing a certain way. 

That could be as simple as over a couple of clubs, or youth jobs, or perhaps over a rebuild, like Farke did at Norwich in their Championship seasons. 

I see what you mean, though. I'm coming around to that way of thinking. 

@ascender made a good point too, suggesting that an inexperienced manager is not a bad thing if we have the DoF model, as we do. 

For me, any new manager has to show they can coach a system of play, and that's irrespective of experience. It's because of that I don't want Lampard, because I don't see a recognisable style in his teams. Derby and Chelsea were a bit bland, and dependent on individuals. 

15 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't mean experience in terms of longevity in the game -- that was the wrong word -- but a track record of being able to coach a side into playing a certain way. 

That could be as simple as over a couple of clubs, or youth jobs, or perhaps over a rebuild, like Farke did at Norwich in their Championship seasons. 

I see what you mean, though. I'm coming around to that way of thinking. 

@ascender made a good point too, suggesting that an inexperienced manager is not a bad thing if we have the DoF model, as we do. 

For me, any new manager has to show they can coach a system of play, and that's irrespective of experience. It's because of that I don't want Lampard, because I don't see a recognisable style in his teams. Derby and Chelsea were a bit bland, and dependent on individuals. 

Agree 100% about Lampard. His team's had zero identity as far as I could see.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Oh fucking COME ON !!!!!!! 
Put us out of our misery Rangers. 

I just got sent a text with a picture of a post from FF which is in Orange text which would suggest its maybe now all done and tomorrow is the day.... and David Edgar has posted a picture of himself with a new Holland top....

Edited by ascender