• Gareth Southgate
    • John Carver
    • Daniel Farke
    • Stuart McCall
    • Ally McCoist
    • Claude Puel
    • Nuno Espírito Santo

Assuming Gerrard is on his way to Brum.

I was still serving when Souness decided to go back to Liverpool. I remember feeling less than impressed with the appointment of Walter. I thought we should have taken more time. Looking back, I was wrong and David Murray was absolutely correct in his immediate gifting the job to Smith. I had a lad in the Battalion who like Walter, was born and bred in Carmyle. He suggested Walter was the very dab because he was a slow burn, "big Wattie can fight".

Similarly to when Souness departed, the Rangers manager's post is far more attractive now than when Gerrard took the job

Further, I believe Kevin Thomson can fight?

Edited by 26th of foot

Michael Beale with someone coming-in alongside him (obviously), but someone maybe with playing & coaching pedigree.

Otherwise, someone like Lampard or Gio would seem to be a good fit with what we're been doing although its hard to judge Lampard's coaching career to date given the roles he's had and Gio is the same to some degree.

Any appointment is a risk as we all know its a unique job. McInnes had his chance though...

Im new to the forum, just registered due to the speculation about Gerrard.

My vote would go to GVB he's played for us so has understanding of Scottish football and also had a good learning curve (4 years as assistant at Feyenoord then 4 years as manager). He also understands the dutch style of passing football which is similar to how Gerrard has us playing, its better that someone comes in and doesnt try to change it too much. 

Also I'm surprised so many people think Beale, I honestly don't think he has the leadership character to be a manager. he does have the intelligence but you need more than that to be the top man. 

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

Also I'm surprised so many people think Beale, I honestly don't think he has the leadership character to be a manager. he does have the intelligence but you need more than that to be the top man. 

I can understand it, in terms of continuity, but I'm in the same boat. He clearly has the tactical ability -- that's what he brings now -- but would he still be able to do that with all the added managerial demands? And, does he have the leadership ability? 

There are numerous examples of good 'Number Twos' not being able to make that step up; they're best as an assistant  -- although, in our history we have a supreme example of it working out in Walter Smith. 

Welcome to the site!