[FT] Rangers 1 (Arfield 40) - 3 Hibernian

25 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Define form. He has had one good game for Scotland and had a few cameo appearances. Don't get me wrong, Patterson is undoubtedly the future but what if he comes in and makes an error. Does that render his form null and void? 

Yes.

And then take the first peanuts offer that comes in for him. We're not getting £5M for him now.  

Or sack him. 

And, of course, anyone that hasn't been around the first team in a while is the messiah. 

We're like that... :facepalm:

1 minute ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Define form. He has had one good game for Scotland and had a few cameo appearances. Don't get me wrong, Patterson is undoubtedly the future but what if he comes in and makes an error. Does that render his form null and void? 

He's played well for Scotland when he's played. A goal and an assist in his last game shows he's in form. He's played well for us when played as well.

His deliveries are more consistent than Tav's.

I fail to see the point you're making about mistakes. There were plenty on show yesterday, which shows that the players picked are not on form, so why not pick someone who is?

Just now, Bluedell said:

He's played well for Scotland when he's played. A goal and an assist in his last game shows he's in form. He's played well for us when played as well.

His deliveries are more consistent than Tav's.

I fail to see the point you're making about mistakes. There were plenty on show yesterday, which shows that the players picked are not on form, so why not pick someone who is?

You're talking about form but basing it on very little game time. Form for me is assessed on games over a prolonged period of time. 

Do we have players under performing? Of course we do but IMO we need to play through this. We need to calm down a wee bit I think (including me). We have scored 10 goals in our last 2 league matches and sit 4 points ahead of everyone at this stage of the season having only lost 1 league game. Could it be better? Of course but let's see what effect the new manager can have on the players before making dramatic changes. 

16 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

To be honest, I had written off Europe when we lost to Malmo. 

The League is the most important. 

I know what you mean, but I don't regard it as a 'free hit', and contend that we need both a performance and a result on Thursday. Playing badly, regularly, often begets expecting to play badly; losing, regularly, certainly begets expecting to lose. 

I don't know how he will manage to engineer a win, with a decent showing, , because we have seen gey few creditable  performances this season. We have scraped victories, in a number of matches, where we have played total dogshit, or slightly above it. 

I would 'take' a result, actually, irrespective of quality of play, on the off chance that it kick starts a revival of confidence and form. 

8 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Would that it were, old bean, would that it were.

Eventually, mon brave, eventually.

I concede that there may be some more purgatorial humblings to come, although, surely, only one can be worse than the ignominy of yesterday. . 

43 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'd have replaced Tav and Morelos with Patterson and Sakala after 30 minutes yesterday.

You could have added McLaughlin for McGregor, Bassey for Barisic, Lundstram for Kamara, Jack for Davis and Wright for Kent.

For a team that's conceded the first goal in each of its last 6 games, it might be an idea to either play more defensive fullbacks or add more cover for them from midfield. We can't go on allowing easy crosses into our goal area and leaving our two central defenders so exposed to counter attacking forwards. Yesterday was a tactical failure more than individual failures in defence.