[FT] Rangers 1 (Arfield 40) - 3 Hibernian

As for tactics ... first, I`d vote for the return of Jack in DM. Depending on the game at hand, you could play (if fit) ...

Balogun - Goldson/Helander - Bassey

Jack

Wright - Hagi - Lundstram - Kent/Bacuna

Roofe - Sakala

... with Jack clearing the lines and covering slots vacated by Balogun or Bassey. Lundstram could easily swap places with Jack or break up play early, run into space et al. He could be exchanged with Arfield. I don`t see Hagi as a right winger, so it would be Wright or Aribo, perhaps even Patterson as a wingback.

Against more offensive / better teams (not least in Europe), it could be ...

Tavernier - Goldson/Helander - Balogun

Patterson - Hagi - Jack - Bassey

Sakala - Roofe - Kent/Wright

The defenders should keep their position, while either wingback could drop back and bolster the defence two. Both wingbacks are capable of doing a job on the wing and in the attacking area too. Jack playing the cleaner, Hagi/Aribo/Davis the creator, the front 3 keep the opposition busy in their own half.

No matter which system we play, we need more attacking players that stay where it hurts the opposition. Time and again we labour on with one striker against 2-4 defenders, have two inside-left/right players who are usually all over the place, but are not there when the striker needs more bodies about him, and on central "attacking" player who rarely runs into spaces. Time and again, Aribo, Kent, Morelos and go tried to force their way through a packed middle, the wings were barren and we had no width to draw the defenders out of position. Combine that with the inability of mainly Tav to get decent crosses in (for weeks) or the lack of bodies in the area to aim at. What bothers me most is that this analysis is sure no witchcraft or rocket science, whatever you fancy more. 

40 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Dunno whether people are chosen because of tactics preferred by the previous manager,

The DoF oversees it all.  A more streamlined transition seems to be the preferred method when that's the case.

57 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Balogun - Goldson/Helander - Bassey

Jack

Wright - Hagi - Lundstram - Kent/Bacuna

Roofe - Sakala

Jack and Lundstram will be in each other's way. Jack, as the more reliable would have to step back to a sweeper position. See one vision above.

He would be the ideal foil for compo’s wild animal centre half also above.

I’m going to stick my neck out here. From what I’ve read to date, I do not expect anyone to agree with me😊.

I do not think that yesterday’s result was inevitable. A few weeks ago it was being said that our performance against Motherwell was the most complete performance of the year. Against Ross County, we played well and won easily. I know these are hardly world beating teams we were playing against but neither are Hibs. Because we are so inconsistent, it’s hit and miss whether we’ll get a good performance or not so talk of inevitability of being beaten by Hibs side… well I just don’t  agree.

From past performances, the most likely outcome was to not play particularly well but to eventually come out on top. That’s how we are top of the league.  Because of the inconsistency, we could just as easily have blown Hibs away or, as turned out, gifted them the game.

If (big if!) we can address the inconsistency, we will have little to fear.

Glass half-full Loyal

22 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Quite an over reaction.

Goldson should have been told to commit or move in the summer.

Tavernier should now be the second choice right back.

Davis is already the second choice number 6 and I assume he played to rest Lundstram for Thursday.

The rest are underperforming but can turn it around.

Over reaction?  Dont think so.  Davis should have retired at the end of the season as should mcgegor.  Our defence is an absolute  shambles and good luck to anyone who thinks they will suddenly get better.  As i said earlier there are first team picks that have ran their course at the club and they need to move on. Were not going to get better trying the same thing week after week hoping things click.  It just not going to happen.

1 hour ago, gisabeer said:

Over reaction?  Dont think so.  Davis should have retired at the end of the season as should mcgegor.  Our defence is an absolute  shambles and good luck to anyone who thinks they will suddenly get better.  As i said earlier there are first team picks that have ran their course at the club and they need to move on. Were not going to get better trying the same thing week after week hoping things click.  It just not going to happen.

I don’t think Davis intended to play as often this season but Ryan Jack was out longer than expected & Lundstrom has struggled at times.

Ive been saying all season McGregor is finished & has been costing us goals. And this has played its part in unsettling our defence behind a shaky keeper

Edited by RANGERRAB