James Dornan MSP

Steerpike in yesterday Spectator Online is staunch in his ridicule of this representative of the people (but what people?)

”It’s been some months since Mr S last reported on the antics of James Dornan, the SNP MSP and amateur Hate-Finder General. The gaffe-prone Glaswegian managed, in the space of just one week, to get himself embroiled in multiple minor scandals after accusing an Edinburgh bus company had stopped services on St Patrick's Day because of 'anti-Irish racism’ (an untrue claim for which he had no evidence) and then for refusing to apologise for claiming Rangers’ players had sung a sectarian tune (another untrue claim based on poorly-doctored footage). Three weeks later he also told the Catholic leader of the Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg: ‘If your God exists you will undoubtedly rot in hell.’ Nice!

Undaunted by past controversies, the amateur sleuth is back on the detective trail again. The Sherlock Holmes of Holyrood has deduced that the perpetrators of an attack on his office – in which a sign was taken down and allegedly urinated upon – were none other than... Gers fans. Steerpike is no fan of such stunts but is there any evidence that 'Rangers supporters' taking 'out their anger and hatred' were responsible for this act? More than 24 hours after naming and blaming the Ibrox club, Dornan is yet to corroborate his claims. He has posted screenshots from a Rangers website in which anonymous users express their hopes that supporters were responsible – but crucially, nothing to show that they were in fact responsible. 

In light of Dornan's habit of throwing around allegations without evidence, it seems only fair to ask: does he have any proof to back up his accusations? As mentioned previously, it’s not the first time Dornan – the poor man’s Mike Russell – has had run-ins with Rangers. In March 2019, the Celtic-mad MSP was forced to apologise to Rangers fan group Club 1872 after complaining they ‘abuse him regularly’ on their website and that moderators fail to monitor their user content. Amusingly, this is the same MSP who subsequently penned an article for the Times titled: 'Keep politics out of football and we'll all be winners.'

A member of Scotland's governing party using his position to repeatedly demonise one of his city’s biggest clubs? Even Poirot wouldn't have trouble solving this one.”

That bit should have been his city’s biggest club of course but top marks otherwise.

Here is Dornan in his pomp:

A man who displays, overtly, support for a muderous, sectarian, illegal, terrorist organisation, is thrown into fear and perturbation, by a tweet which was not even addressed to him. 

Go figure.

What does this cretin offer to the people of Cathcart? Beyond vile bigotry and hatred, that is.....

Former soldier fined for sending menacing tweet about James Dornan MSP

Gordon Currie

Tuesday November 23 2021, 12.01am, The Times

James Dornan told the trial he had been concerned by the language and phraseology in the tweet

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/former-soldier-fined-for-sending-menacing-tweet-about-james-dornan-msp-qnq9hsqcm

A former soldier has been found guilty of sending a menacing tweet suggesting that James Dornan, the controversial MSP, should be assassinated.

Andrew Brews, who served in Northern Ireland, said Dornan was “another dirty little Nationalist rat” who “deserves one behind the ear”.

Brews, a private residential landlord, admitted the phrase was one used during the Troubles to refer to a method of assassination.

He said he had posted the message on a Twitter thread after seeing a picture of the MSP posing in front of a flag linked to a proscribed terrorist organisation.

Brews said the post had been a “knee-jerk reaction” to seeing a taxpayer-funded politician smiling in front of an Irish Republican Army flag.

Dornan, who was sent the tweet by supporters, told the trial he had been particularly concerned by the language and phraseology.

Brews had written: “As I have told him, if he thinks standing posing and smiling in front of a flag belonging to a Republican proscribed organisation isn’t sectarian then he’s deluded. Just another dirty little Nationalist rat, deserves one behind the ear.”

Sheriff Alison Michie told Dundee Sheriff Court: “Mr Dornan said he receives tweets like this, but nothing as concerning as this particular tweet.

“He was clear what he took it to mean and perceived that to be a threat and something that could encourage others. The accused has indicated it is an old military saying and conceded he considers it to mean shooting somebody.

“I do consider the tweet does meet the criminal standard and is menacing in character. I accept it was a knee-jerk reaction. The political background is not a consideration for the court.”

She told Brews: “You have accepted from the outset that you sent the tweet in question and that it was placed on a public forum where anyone could see it.

“You have indicated it was simply a throwaway remark to some extent. I am sure you can appreciate the degree of anxiety and concern such remarks cause.”

Brews, 59, from Leuchars, Fife, was found guilty of sending messages to Dornan on 26 February, 2019, that were grossly offensive, or indecent, obscene or of menacing character in that it suggested he be shot.

Gavin Burton, the fiscal depute, said: “The evidence of Mr Dornan was that he saw the tweet and he expressed concern about his staff and his family.

“The evidence of Dornan was that he was involved in combatting sectarianism in Scottish society and he described the comment of ‘one behind the ear’ as being an assassination-type method used in Northern Ireland.”

Brews said: “If I was believed to be a serious threat to anybody why did it take the police eight months to come and charge me? The whole thing was around Mr Dornan’s perceived sectarianism.

“Seeing that picture made me very angry that someone in the pay of the public was clearly supporting a terrorist organisation that has killed members of that public.

“I am an ex-soldier. I have been troubled by my past experiences, especially in Northern Ireland. I have been on medication for 30 years and undergone counselling — all to do with incidents I took part in.

“I have no interest in Rangers or Celtic. His supporters simply cherry-picked the comment and highlighted it to him. The Pope could have read it, the Queen could have read it.

“It was not sent to him. It was about him because the picture was about him. I don’t believe Mr Dornan is trying to combat sectarianism in Scotland.

“Mr Dornan sees himself as a tough Glasgow hard man who is affected by nothing. All of a sudden he is affected by this message that wasn’t even sent to him.

“The SNP have a strongly anti-Unionist agenda and I strongly believe that is what this whole case is about. It is a chance for him to get at someone he considers anti-SNP.”

Sheriff Michie heard that Brews had no previous convictions and had stopped using Twitter. She fined him £400.

Outside court, Brews described the prosecution as “a stitch-up” and said he was considering an appeal.

James Dornan is the SNP MSP for Glasgow Cathcart and has been involved in several controversies related to the sectarian divide in Scotland.