The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Thread - Aaron Ramsey loan deal confirmed

28 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Couldnt agree more. Cant fathom paying 300k for a player we will have for free in 6 months where we already have Goldson, Helander, Balogun, King, Simpson and Bassey. We could sign a youth prospect or two for 300k.

On the flip side, as someone who grew up with the 9IAR team, I still think our central defence isn't as solid as it could be and looks suspect at times to the sort of long ball approach a lot of clubs use against us. They also still give me the fear a bit at set plays, nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of years ago, but I think we should be defending a lot better than we are.

From the list of players we have, Bassey has done well, but is a LB.

Simpson hasn't looked great whenever he's played.

King is untested.

Helander clearly has his injury issues.

Balogun has done well, sometimes brilliantly, but can blow hot and cold.

300k? I don't see the downside given how important the league is, or even being able to rotate with a bit more confidence and actually try to win the SC this year for example.

There are some who are saying that as Soutar will be coming in the summer, there is no need to pay anything to get him now. Bearing in mind we rate him enough to sign him, I'm sure we'd take him now if the price is right.

On the other side, Hearts are making all the noise now and talking up the price for him to go now. This is standard fare in this type of situation. As the deadline nears, common sense usually takes over and he goes for a reasonable sum. As the Hearts fans have taken against Soutar, this will only get worse if he stays and Hearts will end up not playing him. From Hearts point of view it makes no sense to keep him.

It would not surprise me if he comes to Rangers. Hearts will claim they have secured a large fee, thus satisfying their baying fans. Meanwhile Soutar settles in to Ibrox, becomes a favourite of our fans and a hate figure for the Tynecastle morons.

47 minutes ago, Yorkie Bear said:

On the other side, Hearts are making all the noise now and talking up the price for him to go now. This is standard fare in this type of situation. As the deadline nears, common sense usually takes over and he goes for a reasonable sum. As the Hearts fans have taken against Soutar, this will only get worse if he stays and Hearts will end up not playing him. From Hearts point of view it makes no sense to keep him.

I think you are right, a modest fee for Souttar is better than an unhappy player between now and the end of the season. Although they are probably aiming for a Europa spot in the league they know they will never qualify for the group stages so that wont achieve anything for them financially. 

10 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Hearts are desperate for us to buy him now.

I don't think we need him at all.  We do really need players in other positions though, so the money would be better spent elsewhere.

you say we don't need him but we have a left back playing centre half and no right back cover. 

2 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

you say we don't need him but we have a left back playing centre half and no right back cover. 

Balogun and Helendar are both almost ready.  Sands and Balogun can cover right back and Bassey has done okay at CB.  

Our defence has not been a big issue since GvB arrived.

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

Balogun and Helendar are both almost ready.  Sands and Balogun can cover right back and Bassey has done okay at CB.  

Our defence has not been a big issue since GvB arrived.

We have been 1 injury away from simpson and bassey being our CH's for months we are at best getting away with it. 

1 hour ago, ascender said:

On the flip side, as someone who grew up with the 9IAR team, I still think our central defence isn't as solid as it could be and looks suspect at times to the sort of long ball approach a lot of clubs use against us. They also still give me the fear a bit at set plays, nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of years ago, but I think we should be defending a lot better than we are.

From the list of players we have, Bassey has done well, but is a LB.

Simpson hasn't looked great whenever he's played.

King is untested.

Helander clearly has his injury issues.

Balogun has done well, sometimes brilliantly, but can blow hot and cold.

300k? I don't see the downside given how important the league is, or even being able to rotate with a bit more confidence and actually try to win the SC this year for example.

We have conceded 3 goals since GvB took over. One was a penalty given away by a forward. I grew up in the 9iar era and for me the biggest difference between that team and this one is in the midfield. We are very short in that area currently. 

I can see your point of view but i think we are covered and don't want to give hearts any money. I dont see Soutter as a first choice - i think he will replace Baloguns spot and not replace Goldson or Helander who will be first choice picks. We need to stop being held to ransom by other Scottish clubs. We hold all the cards here and 300k isn't a throwaway for us given we haven't spent any money on transfers in since last summer (i think?)

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

Souttar's performance at Ibrox for Hearts earlier this season is the best performance I have seen by a domestic opponent for a couple of years. If we can bring him in for anything up to £500K, letting Goldson go to wherever is daft enough to give him the money he craves, and will should get a fee in excess of £500K for Goldson, and bring in a better player, younger, cheaper than the one leaving.

It seems a total no-brainer to me.