The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Thread - Aaron Ramsey loan deal confirmed

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

If we can get cover at CB (Souttar), add to our numbers in midfield (Sands--who can also play in defense) and up front (Itten), alongside getting a right winger (Olsen), I think that's fantastic business. It's calculated, filling the most pressing limitations in our squad. 

Moreover, it looks like only the right-winger will cost us anything. 

If all of that comes through it will be another very good window for Ross Wilson to add to his capture of GvB

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

Seems a pre-contract for Souttar appears inevitable and hopefully a deal can be done for him to join asap. For a low fee and with Helander/Balogun still out, it's a sensible move for a decent defender who also uses the ball well (think long diagonals if/when Goldson moves on).

Recalling Itten also sensible, given Roofe still seems unavailable and Defoe's future uncertain. Itten looked ungainly at times and never seemed all that comfortable wherever he played but he did also carry a threat in games where we occasionally needed that unpredictability.

Good to see Itten back as I think he could do a job for us.   Roofe will be off in the summer.  His form this season added to his injury record wont sit well with the manager.  

I see Lundstram looks like being shown the exit door.   I predicted this at the start of the season and took a lot of flack for it.   

Seems I was proven right.

From the Kicker article ... a rather level headed view:

More recently, the 25-year-old only had a place on the bench, during the 0-0 against Augsburg and 0-0 against VfB Stuttgart: Fürth would have needed goals for a win, Itten has proved that he can get them, and yet coach Stefan Leitl refrained from using the striker from the bench. It simply did not fit - at the latest after Leitl turned away from his offensive, courageous approach (of last season and early on this season, DB) to the game and concentrated on stabilizing the defense - at the expense of the attack.

Only one of three Fürth players who can have more than one goal of the season.

Therefore, a separation makes sense, six months before the originally intended end of the loan. And that although Itten was one of only three players in the  Fürth squad who have scored more than one goal all season. He scored in the 1-3 defeat against Bayern and in the 1-2 against Eintracht Frankfurt, only Branimir Hrgota (four goals this season, including three penalties) and Jamie Leweling (three) got more. Itten's "problem": He's a penalty area striker with good finishing qualities, but has to be served in the penalty area. Yet, the Shamrocks managed to get into this dangerous zone less and less recently and when they did, it was via counter attacks.

Thing is, he is a Hateley type penalty area striker and we hardly played to his strengths, but time and again hoped that our left and right attacking player would come up with the goals to support Morelos. I do hope that GvB sticks to his words and changes the line-up according to the oposition at hand, rather than doing the same "4-3-3" over and over again. That aside, Itten won`t cost us a penny (and can`t be loaned anywhere else).

1 hour ago, gisabeer said:

Good to see Itten back as I think he could do a job for us.   Roofe will be off in the summer.  His form this season added to his injury record wont sit well with the manager.  

Not sure what you base that on.

His league scoring record is very good this season.

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

Not sure what you base that on.

His league scoring record is very good this season.

No questions over his scoring record. Just his fitness.Like one or two others misses too many games for my liking

The new Rangers manager may have a different view on this to his predecessor