The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Thread - Aaron Ramsey loan deal confirmed

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

That definitely needed said.

Perhaps, in the current absence of a more suitable candidate for the traditional witch hunt, it's just John Lundstram's turn. Because it's only a few weeks since he was getting MOTM votes on here and general praise across the wider support. As for the nonsense that even if Lundstram is OK, he simply doesn't fit into our team .... God help me. I think we can all agree that, if Lundstram left tomorrow, someone would immediately be targeted to take his place. What the hell is wrong with people?

I called him out earlier in the season and got slated for suggesting he was a squad player at best.  I still dont know what his best position is and what he brings to the team.  Waste of money in my eyes.    We ll see if gio rates him as highly as gerrard.  My guess is hell be off in the summer.

Championship competition pushes Souttar’s wage up and that’s the only concern I have. It’s risky on a moderate wage, very on a high wage. 

With regards to Lundstram, a decent player who can contribute but he wasn’t coming here for anything other than a very good wage and I don’t know why he was given that. I raised that concern before he signed, I’m not joining a pile on. A reliable admin on FF said it has been a major sticking point in the Goldson negotiations, who apparently has the same agent. 

Edited by DMAA

If there's any truth in the Souttar stuff he'll be chased from Gorgie and will join us this month.

I thought Lundstram looked good against Real Madri but got off to a slow start in competitive games, possibly because its a big adjustment to playing for Sheffield United. He's had a few mistakes, but also looked very good indeed at times, albeit inconsistent. Some people have slated him from the off and the last week or so has seen this amplified, presumably because we now know for reals, that he's on at least 35K a week.

I don't think we should write him off by any means, although we've just got a new manager who has tweaked our system, so let's see what happens. We do have a few players out of contract in the summer and some who may retire or move on, so I think we need to be looking further ahead than the second half of this campaign.

Lundstrom has suffered from the change in formation under Gio. He can't play as an attacking midfielder. That's just not his game. 

I'd look on him as being cover for Kamara as the sitting midfielder, and he could do a reasonable job, but now that Sands has joined it seems as if he's fallen down the packing order, unless the club are looking at selling Kamara.

2 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

The wage stuff is conjecture yes, but we cannot afford to have a high earner not be a key player who plays every week(I'd aim the same criticism at Roofe for different reasons). I'm not questioning his quality as a player at this point. Under Gio so far he has hardly played. Things change quickly in football, he could get in the team for the next game, perform well and cement his place in the team for the rest of the reason. From what i have seen so far i doubt it. Add to the mix we have just signed a boy who can play DM.

Where Roofe is concerned we will need good back up if we are to sell Morelos. He is a really good player but clearly is going to miss games every season. 

We are a bit spoiled by Morelos. He is simply never injured. 

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

Lundstrom has suffered from the change in formation under Gio. He can't play as an attacking midfielder. That's just not his game. 

I'd look on him as being cover for Kamara as the sitting midfielder, and he could do a reasonable job, but now that Sands has joined it seems as if he's fallen down the packing order, unless the club are looking at selling Kamara.

By all accounts Lundstram was a centre midfielder at Sheffield United, and actually the defensive side of his game was weak. Their defensive midfielder was Sander Berge. The detailed stats I saw showed very poor defensive stats but fairly impressive attacking stats, broadly similar to someone like Arfield. His highlights reel backs that up, all about doing an Arfield and arriving late in the box and getting goals. 

It seems to me that he has lost his engine at a young age and has had to become a sitting midfielder before his time, but he’s just not that good at the defensive side of that position because it’s never been his game.

I’m keen to see Sands in there who seems to be the opposite, a reader of the game, strong defensively and an athlete. 

Edited by DMAA

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Fair point. However, it's one thing to say he costs too much or there are too many other players available in his role, it's altogether a different matter to say he's not good enough when there's simply no basis for it.

I've been around long enough to recognise when certain players are targeted for criticism for no good reason and before you know it half the support is parroting the same groundless guff. It's hard to believe but I actually remember when people used to criticise Josh Windass.

2 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

Where Roofe is concerned we will need good back up if we are to sell Morelos. He is a really good player but clearly is going to miss games every season. 

We are a bit spoiled by Morelos. He is simply never injured. 

It's also possible Alfredo will be with us for another season or two, especially if his contract is upgraded. This might actually be the best solution for everyone although no doubt cash will talk loudest in the end.