[FT] Rangers 2 (Morelos 15, 49) - 0 Sparta Prague

34 minutes ago, Bill said:

Players play and fans react to how they play. In McGregor's case, the calls for him to be dropped were a straightforward reaction to a run of poor performances followed by an awful one. Last night he had a better game and today no one is calling for him to be dropped. Fans are not clairvoyant, we can't make judgements on what hasn't happened yet, only what we witness. You, on the other hand, are trying hard to be smart after the event, which isn't really so smart at all.

No I'm not; I was quite happy to let GVB and co. select the team based on what they saw in training. I don't recall expressing any dubiety when the team was actually picked. What I actually witnessed was good and I expect any changes to be evolutionary not revolutionary. After the Hibs defeat the phrase 'babies and bathwater' came to mind. 

33 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I would still drop Morelos.

He thinks he can silence his critics after scoring the first goal in the match last night.

I hope he understands that he can only silence his critics with a league win.

Now Gerrard’s gone I wonder if we’ll see the Morelos we saw a couple of years ago. 
Think back to those 2 games again FC Porto

Only time will tell , lets wait and give the new management team a bit of time to implement their ideas .

What we need is to go on a run till the winter break that allows us some breathing space , hopefully some players will depart and be replaced by Gios choices .

Gio got the right reaction from the players last night , defence in particular seemed to show a bit more solidarity, and we're through ,when after the Hibs game ,all seemed a bit beyond us tbh.

As nice as it would've been to get into the Lg cup final, the Hibs game was the last remaining part of Gerrard's legacy ,who had no success at all in cups , so we draw a. line under that one , and i'll take European football with Gio next year instead thank you very much.

Only disappointment last night was queueing for a pie at half time only for the guy in front of me to get the last one 😀 .

Its hard not to over-analyse last night and say that the players looked happier and were much more positive and playing at a higher-tempo etc. I guess we need to give it a few more games to see if that continues. Very promising start though.

2 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Now Gerrard’s gone I wonder if we’ll see the Morelos we saw a couple of years ago. 
Think back to those 2 games again FC Porto

Morelos needs to be playing a much higher line, and I think we saw that last night, which will down to Gio and Maakay. Morelos was playing too deep last season and this, and it's hindered him - and damaged his confidence. He is performs better as a central striker/poacher, where he can shoot on instinct. Let's hope that's now sorted. 

Main thing is were in the next stage.  Plenty of positives to take from last night as well.  We could have scored 8 or 9 last night, disappointed that we never took the chances but at least were making them in the first place.   Good to see a real sense of urgency in our gameplay too.

Good start grom our new manager!

Are we all just going to gloss over the fact that Morelos was exceptional last season, playing that deeper role? 

I can't believe how quickly the narrative switches.  

He's been sh*te this season, but so has everyone else.

3 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

Morelos needs to be playing a much higher line,

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Are we all just going to gloss over the fact that Morelos was exceptional last season, playing that deeper role? 

I can't believe how quickly the narrative switches.  

He's been sh*te this season, but so has everyone else.

All this season I have been saying that Gerard has/had been destroying Morelos by using him as a link man instead of what I call old fashioned centre-forward(striker).

Similarly McCoist took Kris Boyd,who scored goals for fun and deployed him in that role as link man.