[FT] Rangers 2 (Morelos 15, 49) - 0 Sparta Prague

14 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Are we all just going to gloss over the fact that Morelos was exceptional last season, playing that deeper role? 

I can't believe how quickly the narrative switches.  

He's been sh*te this season, but so has everyone else.

I think the problem is more his application and fitness as opposed to his position. He is still carrying too much weight for me and this highlighted in his inability to get away from players.

13 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

All this season I have been saying that Gerard has/had been destroying Morelos by using him as a link man instead of what I call old fashioned centre-forward(striker).

Similarly McCoist took Kris Boyd,who scored goals for fun and deployed him in that role as link man.

I don't quite understand what you mean?

Do you mean Morelos hasn't been playing well in that deeper role? That's patently untrue. He was exceptional last season. 

Do you mean Morelos is not scoring goals? That's true, yes. But strikers don't have to score goals to be effective (i.e. Firmino at Liverpool). I suppose that does 'destroy' what Morelos was all about (Scoring goals). But, then shouldn't players sacrifice themselves for the team?

And, we shouldn't forget, the reason SG played Morelos in that deeper role was because he goes through periods of not scoring, doing nothing otherwise; and if the team is built around a #9 scoring goals, and he doesn't, the whole team is fucked. By playing Morelos deeper, SG gets more out of him as a team player, but is then not dependent on one player. 

I disagree completely with this narrative that he's been poor because he's playing deeper; it's simply untrue.

However, I sympathise with the desire to see Morelos scoring regularly (even if I don't believe he was ever like that; it was always in fits and bursts). I love the guy; I love it when he's torn faced.  

Also, what about Morelos' disciplinary record?

When he was up top, he got into physical battles, and inevitably got sent off. The majority were calling for his head! 'He's letting the team down...' etc. 

SG plays him deeper, he doesn't get involved in physical battles (relatively speaking) and doesn't get sent off. But now he doesn't score as many, so he's 'lost his hunger, his nasty streak, his spark'. Now we're wanting it back?

Make up your minds!

That's my rant for today... 👀 :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Do you mean Morelos hasn't been playing well in that deeper role?

No I have watched him at the games and he plays the role very well but in my view Gerard seemed to crticise his lack of goals, which to me was poor from Gerard as he tells/told the team how to play.

6 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

No I have watched him at the games and he plays the role very well but in my view Gerard seemed to crticise his lack of goals, which to me was poor from Gerard as he tells/told the team how to play.

I don't think Gerrard did criticise his lack of goals. 

In fact, I recall the opposite, where he was defending him, saying his overall game, his overall contribution to the team was more than enough. 

Our main problem this season - even partly last season too - was that Morelos moved to the wings or deeper (and correctly drawing defenders out of position), yet those who should take his place and run into danger areas either failed to deliver or simply weren`t there*. You hardly know what Arbibo`s best position is, given where he pops up on the park, while Kent is also roving about ... and our midfielders don`t really join the attack, bar Hagi and Arfield perhaps. Likewise, the "roving fullbacks" can cross all day long (and hopefully beyond the first man), if there`s hardly anyone in the box ...

Hence I recently said that we went from a 4 attacker line up (2 wingers, 2 strikers) to one with something like 0,5*-3 attackers ... which is essentially the worst way of opening up "low blocks", 5-4-1s and the like. Hence - you may remember - we oftentimes toiled badly unless we scored early.

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Our main problem this season - even partly last season too - was that Morelos moved to the wings or deeper (and correctly drawing defenders out of position), yet those who should take his place and run into danger areas either failed to deliver or simply weren`t there*. You hardly know what Arbibo`s best position is, given where he pops up on the park, while Kent is also roving about ... and our midfielders don`t really join the attack, bar Hagi and Arfield perhaps. Likewise, the "roving fullbacks" can cross all day long (and hopefully beyond the first man), if there`s hardly anyone in the box ...

Hence I recently said that we went from a 4 attacker line up (2 wingers, 2 strikers) to one with something like 0,5*-3 attackers ... which is essentially the worst way of opening up "low blocks", 5-4-1s and the like. Hence - you may remember - we oftentimes toiled badly unless we scored early.

👏👏👏👏👏