[FT] Rangers 2 (Morelos 15, 49) - 0 Sparta Prague

I thought there were a lot of good signs last night. 

we moved the ball faster. 

We played higher up the park and pressed the ball high up. Got both goals from doing so. 

we were more aggressive at the back 

our attitude was much better. 

We were far less predictable. 

McGregor made a save or two and what saves they were. Makes you wonder what was going on under Gerrard to be honest. 

Some of the old habits crept back in at times but that will get better with more coaching time. 

I don't know if it's just because my nerves were shot by that second half, backs-to-the-wall performance, but I wasn't too impressed last night. 

Of course, GvB's only had a couple of days, so we can't expect too much change. 

I thought it was interesting that we were playing a 4-4-2 in defence, which is a solid set-up. I don't think we pressed high at all, it was more of a mid-block. I did think our defenders were a lot more aggressive, though. And, we did press higher second half. 

It was a 4-2-3-1 in attack. 

Kent and Hagi were noticeably wider, with moments where they played it well, then others when they didn't. I expect that to improve, though. 

Aribo as the #10 was interesting, because it suggests GvB doesn't want a 'creative' #10, but more of a second-striker, someone with energy that can play in tandem with the striker. (Then again, Aribo and Hagi swapped position after a while, so it's fluid.)

Generally, I was a wee bit disappointed. I would like to see more controlled possession in my teams. That may come, though, as GvB works with them. 

The result was all that mattered, at the end of the day. Job done. 

Yeah, it was far from what we want but it was decent.

I was surprised and increasingly frustrated that the manager seemed to delay much required changes as the game went on.

On a positive side, we did create plenty of good chances and, on another day, we win that game 5-0.  Instead we're hanging on to a degree and reliant on a great double save from McGregor.

The appointment of a new manager was never going to be an instant fix but there were enough signs of improvement to give us some confidence.

24 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I thought it was interesting that we were playing a 4-4-2 in defence, which is a solid set-up. I don't think we pressed high at all, it was more of a mid-block. I did think our defenders were a lot more aggressive, though. And, we did press higher second half. 

Did you see the goals?

or the many other chances especially first half from pressing their defenders. 

Edited by the gunslinger