Rae eager to cement Gers link

DUNDEE MANAGER Alex Rae is keen to raid Rangers� resources in a bid to boost his squad.

In the wake of the announcement that the Glasgow club will be heading to Dens Park for a friendly on August 1, he wants to further enhance the relationship between the Dark and Light Blues.

Rae will speak to new Rangers boss Paul Le Guen about forging a link in the hope of welcoming some of his former team-mates to Dundee for the new season, with the likes of defender Gary McKenzie to be farmed out.

ââ?¬Å?Money is still very tight hereââ?¬â?as it is with almost every club these daysââ?¬â?so loan deals are something I am going to pursue,ââ?¬Â said the former Ibrox midfielder.

ââ?¬Å?Obviously going back to Rangers for players is one option.

ââ?¬Å?Paul Le Guen is bringing in a lot of new faces so some of the young boys there will slip back down the pecking order a wee bit.

ââ?¬Å?St Mirren did very well out of the loan deal they made for Charlie Adam last season so that proves it is definitely an avenue to look at.

ââ?¬Å?I will also be contacting a lot of English Premiership and SPL clubs to see what young players they are willing to farm out.

ââ?¬Å?We can give them the opportunity of first-team football in return for having them in our squad, so it is beneficial for both parties.ââ?¬Â

Rae also confirmed that former Dundee United captain Danny Griffin is a signing target.

He has spoken to the 28-year-old, who was released by Aberdeen at the end of last season, and is confident of beating off interest from Dunfermline and Partick Thistle to land the former Northern Ireland internationalist.

And while Rae remains reluctant to discuss his other potential signings, he admitted that Griffin�s likely arrival will be the first of many.

ââ?¬Å?I spoke to Danny before he went on holiday and he is one of a number of players I am looking at,ââ?¬Â he said.

ââ?¬Å?I wonââ?¬â?¢t name any more at this stage because I donââ?¬â?¢t want to alert other clubs.ââ?¬Â

Despite his plans for new arrivals, Rae must first wait to discover who is leaving Dens.

The indications are that Tom McManus and Steven Robb are likely to reject Dundee�s wage-cut proposal and will take free transfers within the next 24 hours.

Garry Brady, who was also asked to slash his salary, yesterday opened negotiations with St Mirren after rejecting the Dark Blues� proposal.

Only the injured Lee Wilkie is likely to agree to the new terms put to him by chief executive Dave MacKinnon.

Rae is philosophical about losing some of his top stars and believes the club�s teenagers can provide the answer to his problems� if they are complemented by experience.

ââ?¬Å?What I need to do is hit the ground running and find out which players are staying,ââ?¬Â he said.

ââ?¬Å?I can understand their situation because I have been there myself but the club simply canââ?¬â?¢t sustain their contracts.

ââ?¬Å?Dave MacKinnon has met with the agents involved and we are hoping to have a clear picture by the end of the week.

ââ?¬Å?Even if we do lose some players I am still very upbeat because there is a strong base of youngsters here.

ââ?¬Å?I have watched them on video and saw several I think I can work with.

ââ?¬Å?What we are looking for now is experience alongside them and that is where the likes of myself and Bobby Mann come in.

ââ?¬Å?It is going to be a hectic first few months in management but I am delighted to be here.ââ?¬Â

Meanwhile, the severance payment dispute between Dundee and former manager Alan Kernaghan has yet to be resolved, despite the two parties meeting for talks yesterday.

Really hope he makes a go of it there. At least he's not going to be afraid to give the kids eome 1stt eam experience

It isn't always about getting a trade that way though Colsh - if the kids get first team experience then it may be to their benefit if they go to a coach that Rangers trust with their younger players.

Not saying it will be like this but it isn't always about getting one-for-one

It isn't always about getting a trade that way though Colsh - if the kids get first team experience then it may be to their benefit if they go to a coach that Rangers trust with their younger players.

Not saying it will be like this but it isn't always about getting one-for-one

yes, thats a good point that they will get first team experience in exchange, but to me it just loooked like rae was raiding the club under the pretence that he was doing us a favour of taking guys who are on the brink of the teams and who don`t often get a chance.

to be honest dundee don`t have ANYONE gers would want anyway and first team experience is the most valuable thing we could get out of it.

Lee Wilkie :eek:

i read in 4/4/2 last month that lee wilkie is to give the game up if he gets another injury. then after that report i heard on the radio he had indeed not recovered as he would`ve hoped from his injury and he may well retire now.

he`s only 25 and even though he`s shit, it`s too young for any player to retire.:confused:

to be honest dundee don`t have ANYONE gers would want anyway and first team experience is the most valuable thing we could get out of it.

What about this McDonald kid that Celtic have just bid for - what is he like ?

What about this McDonald kid that Celtic have just bid for - what is he like ?

not sure i dion`t take any notice of dundee tbh.

maybe geo could enlighten us.

i mean if they want all our players then sureley they should be sending that mcdonald kid to us for nought!!!