By Lindsay Herron

IAN MURRAY has signed a contract with the Championship side Norwich City after agreeing a deal this afternoon.

Rangers agreed tIan Murrayo let the versatile former Hibs captain go as he had found himself on the periphery of Walter Smith's squad.

The Light Blues had initially looked for a transfer fee for Murray, who joined Rangers from Easter Road in the summer of 2005, but decided to let him move for free.

Chief Exective Martin Bain said at today's Annual General Meeting: "We took a decision based on the players' wishes, the manager's wishes and where he sits on our books. Ian was not going to feature so we are saving money on the wage bill."

Murray made 56 starts for Rangers in all competitions over the past two seasons but with the arrival of Carlos Cuellar, Kirk Broadfoot and Steven Whittaker he has been pushed down the pecking order.

The deal with the Canaries has yet to be completed but manager Peter Grant would like to get it done today so that Murray can play in Saturday's game at Hull.

Grant said today: "I watched him a lot when he was at Hibs as a boy and he was captain very, very young.

"He has all the attributes you look for in a player. A top class professional, left sided and can play left-back, left midfield, central midfield and centre back - and he can do them all well."

Sorry if this has already been posted but i couldn't see it anywhere.

Just because its not been mentioned here, no fee and yet Celtic get >�£1m for the likes of Beattie. :mad:

Other clubs must laugh at us. We pay over the top for mediocre players and then let them go for free. At least his wages will be freed up.

Other clubs must laugh at us. We pay over the top for mediocre players and then let them go for free. At least his wages will be freed up.

There is that. A useful player in a crisis due to his versatility, but never likely to feature this term.

There is that. A useful player in a crisis due to his versatility, but never likely to feature this term.

I found him too static. I love to see the backs playing as a second winger as Hutton and Smith do. Best move for all but disappointed he did not bring in a fee.

Yet again another player leaves for nothing. Even £50,000 for him would have been something, the fee I believe Hearts were quoted for Stephen Hughes from Leicester City. And he'd been on the transfer list for a few months.

Would love to know how much it's cost us over last couple of season to pay off the contracts of Capucho, Fan-Fan etc

Malky

Seen this at the bottom of the Hemdani article in the Record this morning.

He has already gone over his budget by bringing in nine new players but has cleared the way for a final swoop by loaning Filip Sebo to Valenciennes and selling Ian Murray to Norwich for �£250,000.

The top article where it said he went for free was from the official site. Surely that will be accurate?

You're probably right, just wishful thinking on my part. A scenario could be that we demanded 250k, Norwich said they couldn't afford it, so we gave him for free to get an unwanted player off the wage bill.