[FT] Livingston 1 - 3 Rangers (Arfield 8; Aribo 16; Sakala 78)

Agree, Goldson was all over the place and I wondered if the result midweek and the performance of McGregor would maybe instil a bit of confidence in the defence as a whole as well as Goldson. The Livi goal was disappointing because of the initial cross and then the fact their man got free in the box.

I'm really not sure Katic is the answer - the reputation of players like him seem to get better and better the longer they're out injured or away on loan. On the flip side, maybe a more limited centre half alongside someone who is more of a ball playing one might be a good combination? Still not convinced that's Katic though.

I'm with @Rousseau, if someone like Mayo is considered good enough, we should be trying to find a way to bring him in to the first team, but maybe we missed our chance to do that last season when the league was sewn up so early.

I've never liked Katic. 

Of course, any players' reputation inflates when they've been out of the team, but with Katic, I think his reputation is built on a couple of hard tackles. Which is great to see, but it doesn't make a defender. 

I don't know, though. Maybe these youngsters are not that good. How many managers has that been that have overlooked them? There must be a reason for it. 

I think Kelly is good enough to get some minutes, here and there, but he's nowhere to be seen. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Of course, any players' reputation inflates when they've been out of the team, but with Katic, I think his reputation is built on a couple of hard tackles

Not to mention a certain header. Old firm goals are so memorable that they go a long way for fans.

Katic was never good enough for Rangers, average at best on the ball and a terrible habit of ball watching and losing his man.

Another encouraging win, considering it was played on plastic. Hopefully another confidence boost for Sakala too who could surprise me and play a bigger role than I expected this season. Roofe's injury certainly gives him the chance to do just that. I still see him as a centre forward though and not a wide player. His dribbling and overall technical game isn't good enough to flourish there, his strength is using his pace to stretch the play and scoring goals one way or another.

I haven't watched Mayo but you'd have to say someone with only 2nd tier experience is unlikely to be good enough. His clean sheet record when he played CB this season is outstanding though and that is very encouraging, especially as the season has gone on. 

56 minutes ago, ascender said:

Agree, Goldson was all over the place and I wondered if the result midweek and the performance of McGregor would maybe instil a bit of confidence in the defence as a whole as well as Goldson. The Livi goal was disappointing because of the initial cross and then the fact their man got free in the box.

I'm really not sure Katic is the answer - the reputation of players like him seem to get better and better the longer they're out injured or away on loan. On the flip side, maybe a more limited centre half alongside someone who is more of a ball playing one might be a good combination? Still not convinced that's Katic though.

I'm with @Rousseau, if someone like Mayo is considered good enough, we should be trying to find a way to bring him in to the first team, but maybe we missed our chance to do that last season when the league was sewn up so early.

I thought Goldson was fine up to the goal and he got caught out there. That unsettled him for a while but he got back in control. 

I may of course be overestimating him. 

47 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Not to mention a certain header. Old firm goals are so memorable that they go a long way for fans.

Katic was never good enough for Rangers, average at best on the ball and a terrible habit of ball watching and losing his man.

Totally agree he got better and better in peoples minds during his injury but he gave away a pen in that same celtc game and there was a game v hearts i think where he twice booted the ball straight up and cost us. generally he was all over the place. 

Surprised no one has commented that yesterday’s starting team had both Arfield and Hagi in it.
Normally only one of them is in it.

And I thought it made us into more of a goal threat to the opposition.

An good piece of tactical awareness by GvB?