[FT] Rangers 3 (Aribo 36; Sweeney OG 55; Morelos 70) - 0 Dundee

23 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

GvB has used Patterson more than SG ever did, simply because the formation allows it. 

Patterson has come on twice in more advanced positions to 'shut up shop'.

However, he's not dropped Tavernier to do so, which suggests GvB recognises Tavernier's importance.

I wouldn't be dropping Tavernier any time soon, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Patterson get the nod in some games to give Tavernier a rest -- yesterday's game was probably a good opportunity. 

Gio`s been here for a matter of weeks. He´s won all games thus far too. No-one shall (and I doubt no-one is) getting carried away though. He will use the trusted players for the time being. I just hope that he gives other players a chance to prove themselves in competirtive action and in a system that Gio deems necessary for the game at hand.

No-one is demanding Tav shall be dropped per se, but likewise it would be good to revolve people when they are not "as essential" as they are usually are, e.g. yesterday`s game at home against Dundee.

I for one never missed Tav when SG was forced to play him as Tav was injured. I cannot say that I missed Kent yesterday either. As long as a manager utilizes his whole squad, no problem.

NB: Again ... Tav`s stats are fine. For a winger. They hardly include his defensive abilities though.

30 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

The odd assist. 

behave. 

Just read again. This was purely with regards to games where Tav had - by his standards - a stinker, yet produced an assist from a corner or otherwise ... which soon papered over the rest of his performance that day.

Just now, der Berliner said:

Just read again. This was purely with regards to games where Tav had - by his standards - a stinker, yet produced an assist from a corner or otherwise ... which soon papered over the rest of his performance that day.

Hard to have a stinker when you are out winning the game with the odd assist in it. 

Which games are these?

11 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

So even when having a "stinker", Tav still contributes offensively and therefore helps get wins or draws? Not a bad trait to have. I'd have a player like that in my team every day of the week..... oh, wait......

Edited by CammyF

4 minutes ago, gisabeer said:

The most ridiculous thing I keep on reading in here is people who keep referring to the past.   Tavenier peaked last season and will never have another season like it.   I'll include goldson in that comment as well.  We need to look to the future.  Patterson in 100 minutes of International football had two assists and a goal to his name and played a very big role in Scotland securing a place in the WC playoffs.    What exactly does he have to do on your eyes to prove himself?    Kelly too gets a standout man of the match performance for the under 21s and hes no where to be seen.   Having seen davis look every bit like the 37 year old completely off the pace at hibs during the week I am asking questions about his contribution to the side.   You also mentioned in an earlier post about what we achieved with no money.  We should be using our academy if this is the case, especially when we can see they're more than good enough for the SPFL

I have to say there's an element of the truth here. Managing squad transition and deciding when to make big changes is the preserve of only the very best managers and not something you'd expect supporters to be able to judge. Alex Ferguson showed time and again how far ahead of popular opinion you have to be to generate consistent success and it took a long time before supporters accepted that he knew more than they did. 

There are no players at Rangers who even come close to being indispensable, there's only the danger of holding the team back because you think they are and losing the opportunity to improve.