Russia, Ukraine

Putin has had the West in a state of hysteria for months now. He has seen the fractures, seen how unwilling the US is to intervene, seen that Germany cares more about the Nordland2 pipeline and how weak those political mice Macron and Johnson really are. Job done really, he can stand the troops down. As Gonzo pointed out, why wait, why not launch their very own blitzkrieg months ago? 

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

The longer this drags on (Russian troop build up near Ukraine, not Bill and R_S having a tiff), the less chance there is of an invasion.  

Putin would've sent them in by now.  

Perhaps the invasion has already taken place, if you get my cultish drift.  As Churchill once said, “Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.”

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

Perhaps the invasion has already taken place, if you get my cultish drift.

If you look at the demographic alterations in Crimea and East Ukraine in the past couple of centuries, you could certainly argue that point.

There are many lessons from history that we would benefit from learning.  Lets just consider one for now.

We declared war on Germany in 1939 in a farcical attempt to help Poland.  Although desirable it just wasn't possible for Britain to provide any real help to Poland.  The British army got chased back into the sea and massive amounts of equipment were abandoned.  We could have entered the second world war at a time more suitable to our interests and with a more realistic justification.  It's not clear that we could ever have saved Poland from tyranny given that it ended up in the hands of our despotic Soviet allies.  What's the lesson here? Don't pretend you can save a country in Eastern Europe when you can't.  If you do stuff like that then you end up humiliated, penniless and you need to go begging to another country for help.  

Iv'e heard it all now, what a ridiculous statement. Why are the UK MSM peddling this US propaganda, didnt they learn anything from the dodgy dossiers?

GB News

Russia is drawing up a kill list, with gay and ethnic minority Ukrainians among it, if it were to invade the country, according to the US.

America's ambassador to the UN has issued a warning over a possible "human rights catastrophe" as 200,000 Russian troops and 500 warships are gathered on the border.

Should Russia invade, she says forces "would likely target those who oppose Russian actions".

These would include “Russian and Belarusian dissidents in exile in Ukraine, journalists and anti-corruption activists, and vulnerable populations such as religious and ethnic minorities and LGBTQI+ persons".

The ambassador also claims there is "credible information" to suggest the Russians "will likely use lethal measures to disperse peaceful protests or otherwise counter peaceful exercises of perceived resistance from civilian populations".

Putin's spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, has denied the claim, made to UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet.

"That is a lie. This is absolute fiction, there is no such list, it is fake,” he said.

He's finally made the opening move by sending in his troops to the two rebel states populated by the Russian speaking people's. 

He wont bother his arse about sanctions now the balls in the western  court I await to see what NATO and sleepy Joe's reaction. 

5 hours ago, compo said:

He's finally made the opening move by sending in his troops to the two rebel states populated by the Russian speaking people's. 

He wont bother his arse about sanctions now the balls in the western  court I await to see what NATO and sleepy Joe's reaction. 

Biden is weak, stupid and looking for a way to boost Democrat polling ahead of midterm elections.

Could people continue to deny N.A.T.O. aggression if it wades in to help a non member here?

Just shifting the focus slightly, we should not forget that the release of the 'Pandora Papers' a few years ago revealed that Knightsbridge was awash with Russian money: Chernukhin (Putin's onetime finance minister) and his wife were big donors to the Tory party for example. The one sure way to damage Putin is financially, as I don't think a full-scale invasion of Ukraine would be an easy undertaking for Russia given the resources it would demand. I am not holding my breath to see if any serious sanctions ensue though.