Russia, Ukraine

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Who are your masters?

Our masters are the U.S.A.

The U.S.A. tells this country what to do in terms of defence and foreign policy.

This is easy for them due to the persistence of the special relationship fairy story. Many of the public are too gullible to question what our government does abroad.

3 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

No. Its a statement of fact and includes all countries of which Russia is just the latest example. I was against the Iraq war and would be happy to have Blair hung from a post in downtown Fallujah. 

Makes you wonder why so many in the U.S.A. and U.K. are demanding their governments provide weapons/training to Ukraine.

With such a shameful record you would think that the public would demand an end to it immediately.

15 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Makes you wonder why so many in the U.S.A. and U.K. are demanding their governments provide weapons/training to Ukraine.

With such a shameful record you would think that the public would demand an end to it immediately.

Okay so lets say, for the sake of argument, that there is no international support being provided to Ukraine. 

How long would Ukraine hold out before being over-run and what would the impact be on the Ukrainian people? 

And lets also assume he wins (whatever that looks like), what is Putin's next move?

Edited by stewarty

On 02/05/2022 at 23:12, ranger_syntax said:

I know , I know if only our governments were benevolent liberators bringing compassion, love and charity to those suffering oppression like Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin and his peacekeepers are doing in Ukraine.

8 hours ago, stewarty said:

Okay so lets say, for the sake of argument, that there is no international support being provided to Ukraine. 

How long would Ukraine hold out before being over-run and what would the impact be on the Ukrainian people? 

And lets also assume he wins (whatever that looks like), what is Putin's next move?

With no support the Ukraine would be defeated much sooner than otherwise. I can't say how long that would take.

The full impact on the Ukrainian people is difficult to say. A few things are undeniable. Firstly that far less would be killed. Secondly that a far greater level of economic activity would remain in the Ukraine. Thirdly the Ukraine would switch from being a vassal state of the U.S.A. to being a vassal state of Russia.

We don't know what Putin would do next. Although I was unsure before I now think that we can rule out an attack on N.A.T.O. countries. Putin is on record as saying that direct convential conflict with N.A.T.O. would be a mismatch where Russia loses. He also implied that the likely nuclear escalation would be very bad for everyone. I also think that the idea of him doing something in Finland is a fairy story. I have yet to see anybody articulate why he would do anything there. Happy to be persuaded otherwise on Finland.

In my opinion a lot of the talk about what Russia would do next is fueled by historical ignorance. Many are so gripped by a single historical episode that they can only understand the present by jamming modern figures into the place of past figures. (See cult of Churchill and so on)

If I was to guess I would say Russia would turn attention away from this declining continent and towards Asia like all other sensible nations. 

10 minutes ago, forlanssister said:

I know , I know if only our governments were benevolent liberators bringing compassion, love and charity to those suffering oppression like Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin and his peacekeepers are doing in Ukraine.

You sound like a Russian asset.

Very sad that you have nothing to contribute.

33 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Many are so gripped by a single historical episode that they can only understand the present by jamming modern figures into the place of past figures.

Like Ukrainians and Nazis

Thing is if there's to be a coup in Russia the man taking over could be Sergei Shogui who is defence minister and Putins confident and probably a bit more dangerous. 

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

You sound like a Russian asset.

Very sad that you have nothing to contribute.

And your contribution here other than whataboutery and two/three/four etc wrongs make a right?

Definitely a few "special information operatives" in this thread but you won't need binoculars to see them.

1 hour ago, forlanssister said:

Definitely a few "special information operatives" in this thread but you won't need binoculars to see them.

Do you think so? I assumed they were just shit stirring for the sheer perversity of it.