Russia, Ukraine

5 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Worrying times. 

@Bill and @stewarty on the same side.

giphy.gif

How aligned do you have to be to see the Guardian as a shit wipe?

That aside, he's been slow to convert but I think @stewarty is to be congratulated for coming over to my side 😉

32 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

To limit discussion to complaints about the source is more like grasping at straws.

We should all be critical of our own government before we consider the actions of another. We can only hope to have influence over our own. We are also far more vulnerable to abuse from our own government.

In terms of a well established playbook you couldn't get better than persuading the public that some far off place needs help from the world police. After you have done that you can do anything you like to the poor suckers.

Meanwhile, Putin continues on his genocidal whims.  When do you stop gazing at your navel?

On 04/06/2022 at 14:08, ranger_syntax said:

Well how would you know if the sanctions were working?

What do people think sanctions are for? The author thinks that it is to encourage Russia to abandon the special military operation. You appear to be saying that it is to hinder the Russian economy in future (to what end?).

Well i did give you two examples a) the impact on Russian airlines and b) the impact on Russian exporters of the artificially inflated Ruble. There are many more examples.

2 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Meanwhile, Putin continues on his genocidal whims.  When do you stop gazing at your navel?

It is entailed in what I have already said but I will spell it out.

We can worry about other governments after we are happy with what our own government is doing.

If there is a more helpful, uh, incantation then I just don't know it.

2 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Well i did give you two examples a) the impact on Russian airlines and b) the impact on Russian exporters of the artificially inflated Ruble. There are many more examples.

Neither is an end in itself.

Why do you think we are doing any of this?

15 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

It is entailed in what I have already said but I will spell it out.

We can worry about other governments after we are happy with what our own government is doing.

If there is a more helpful, uh, incantation then I just don't know it.

Yes, you do seem caught in a weird libertarian spell.  

11 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Why do you think we are doing any of this?

Sanctions are used to economically pressurise a person, entity or country doing something that's deemed unacceptable.  

It also helps win public favour, in certain circumstances.

Are these sanctions any different?