Russia, Ukraine

21 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Nonsense.  We are helping the Ukrainians because its in our interests to do so. 

If you feel up to sharing I would be happy to read all about those interests.

At the moment it looks, to me, like this is not in our interests.

Frozen pensioners, and sky high prices, are not desirable to me.

Edited by ranger_syntax

9 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Dealing with Putin, validating him on the world stage and trading with his mafioso regime, is not in our interests no matter how much easier it might seem in the short term.  Surely we have at least learned something from all of this?

Putin is short term.

11 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

If you feel up to sharing I would be happy to read all about those interests.

At the moment it looks, to me, like this is not in our interests.

Frozen pensioners, and sky high prices, are not desirable to me.

Hmm.  I think you are (again) being disingenuous, simplistic and short sighted.  

Just to clarify - i don't really want us to help Russia.

But it seems like we are helping the Ukraine here more than most (especially France, Germany and Netherlands the latter two are spending big bucks on Russian fuels every day). yet here we have the EU courting Ukraine, the US have been deeply involved there for years and seem to be doing a US special and washing thier hands of the situation. The UK is going to suffer with this mega inflation we are going through which will only snowball from here, and I doubt these days we can call the US or the EU our allies. Maybe if there is money in it for them the US might help us out.

India seem to have been happy to turn a blind eye to all this for some Russian crude as have China.

1 minute ago, stewarty said:

Hmm.  I think you are (again) being disingenuous, simplistic and short sighted.  

You can read my mind now?!

Where did all that charming humility go?

Feel free to discuss the point of substance.

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

You can read my mind now?!

Where did all that charming humility go?

Feel free to discuss the point of substance.

No, but I can see through you.

If you have a point of substance, why don't you state it clearly instead of all this condescending and vague nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Just to clarify - i don't really want us to help Russia.

But it seems like we are helping the Ukraine here more than most (especially France, Germany and Netherlands the latter two are spending big bucks on Russian fuels every day). yet here we have the EU courting Ukraine, the US have been deeply involved there for years and seem to be doing a US special and washing thier hands of the situation. The UK is going to suffer with this mega inflation we are going through which will only snowball from here, and I doubt these days we can call the US or the EU our allies. Maybe if there is money in it for them the US might help us out.

India seem to have been happy to turn a blind eye to all this for some Russian crude as have China.

I doubt it. Why would the U.S.A. extract money from Europe only to send it back?

I'll be sad if this leads to accelerated decline of the U.K. and even Europe.