Russia, Ukraine

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I don't buy this stuff about Russia's borders being "threatened" or the need for a territorial "buffer" between Russia and the West. In fact it seems patent nonsense as a concept. The idea seems to be that a naturally non-aggressive Russia is somehow pacified by having an undefined amount of territory between itself and a naturally belligerent West ... but only if that buffer territory is wholly controlled by Russia. It beggars the question, what is the purpose of the Russian border if it can only function when protected by yet another border located on someone else's territory? Seems to me this is one of those invented truths, concocted and reinforced by repetition in order to mask something far more sinister. It's almost impossible to discuss Russia as an aggressor state without releasing a torrent of anti-Western hysteria.

Ever heard of the Monroe Doctrine?

Our masters know all about it.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

It's worth noting that despite all these changes, the Russian border remains unchallenged and exactly where it was - unlike the Lithuanian, Polish, and Finnish borders which have been moved westwards so that part of those countries could be absorbed into Russia but that doesn't seem to matter.

Very interesting indeed. When did these changes occur?

6 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Ever heard of the Monroe Doctrine?

Our masters know all about it.

Why don't you stop asking questions and tell us all about it?

23 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

No answers.

Quite a surprise.

I'll always just think of you as the Snide Sniper. Every forum has one, you are ours.

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

The first responsibility of every government is to retain power.

The Ukraine is being turned into an anti Russian project and a de facto N.A.T.O. member.

I think that both are threats to the Russian government and thus Russian independence.

There are a range of additional factors but these are the two that I think are most important.

Also the ethnic Russians in the Donbas region have been getting murdered by Ukrainians for the past few years.

So the Russians went in.
Im no expert but I expect to see the Donbas region being absorbed  into Russia. Like Crimea was

Edited by RANGERRAB

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

The Ukraine is being turned into an anti Russian project and a de facto N.A.T.O. member.

I think that both are threats to the Russian government and thus Russian independence.

There are a range of additional factors but these are the two that I think are most important.

Ukraine is being turned into an anti-NATO project and a de facto Russian vassal.

I think that both are threats to the Ukrainian government and thus Ukrainian independence.