Russia, Ukraine

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

One country invades another and carries out a shooting war. The invaded nation defends itself. Despite the best efforts of Russia's apologists, this is the reality that no amount of weasel words can change. It's a war. Formally declared or not, it's a war instigated by Russia against Ukraine. No amount of whataboutery concerning the US, China or other countries changes the fact that Russia made this war and has, from the outset, preferred to kill Ukrainian civilians and destroy cities, rather than confront the Ukrainian military. A lack of squeaky clean innocence elsewhere makes no difference to the barbarism of a despotic Russian state.

Without the active threat of nuclear weapons, I doubt if Russian forces would still be anywhere near Ukraine. 

Do you know if either Russia or Ukraine have declared war on the other yet?

5 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Do you know if either Russia or Ukraine have declared war on the other yet?

One definition:

"War is an intense armed conflict[a] between states, governments, societies, or paramilitary groups such as mercenaries, insurgents, and militias. It is generally characterized by extreme violence, aggression, destruction, and mortality, using regular or irregular military forces."

I think we can safely assume this is what is happening regardless if anyone has or has not declared it. 

3 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

One definition:

"War is an intense armed conflict[a] between states, governments, societies, or paramilitary groups such as mercenaries, insurgents, and militias. It is generally characterized by extreme violence, aggression, destruction, and mortality, using regular or irregular military forces."

I think we can safely assume this is what is happening regardless if anyone has or has not declared it. 

I can't imagine why you find that interesting. For what it is worth I know that I don't.

I would be much more interested to know why countries appear reluctant to declare war on each other.

Is there some practical reason that formal declarations are avoided?

This is increasingly pathetic. I don’t care if the Azov battalion goose-stepped through the Donbas, distributing swastika flags and burning Ruskies along the way. None of that changes the fact that Russia has destabilise the European continent by aggressively attacking its neighbour, indulging in widespread war crimes at every turn. 

6 hours ago, Bill said:

This is increasingly pathetic. I don’t care if the Azov battalion goose-stepped through the Donbas, distributing swastika flags and burning Ruskies along the way. None of that changes the fact that Russia has destabilise the European continent by aggressively attacking its neighbour, indulging in widespread war crimes at every turn. 

I think that this has been established very early on.

6 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

I think that this has been established very early on.

It is still quite hard to get your head around such a thoroughly egoistic, self-centred attitude about the life of some people, yet not others. Likewise, it sort of beggars belief that some Briton has no problem with Nazi enthusiasts killing Ukrainians in the Donbass, yet with Russians chasing them same Nazis out of that region.

9 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

It is still quite hard to get your head around such a thoroughly egoistic, self-centred attitude about the life of some people, yet not others. Likewise, it sort of beggars belief that some Briton has no problem with Nazi enthusiasts killing Ukrainians in the Donbass, yet with Russians chasing them same Nazis out of that region.

I’m interested to know why you are personally so obsessed with Nazis. You seem to see them behind every tree when you need to.