[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 71 pen) - 0 Dundee United

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Wee question ... during the first half, could it be that Derry`s Walls was first sung to the tune of Amazing Grace (though it sounded somewhat off) and straight afterwards to the normal tune?

Yeah, UBs sang this with the old school scarves held aloft. Remember TBO trying this a some years back. Would look amazing with the whole stadium joining but maybe it's a bit to slow tempo to catch on?

9 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Wee question ... during the first half, could it be that Derry`s Walls was first sung to the tune of Amazing Grace (though it sounded somewhat off) and straight afterwards to the normal tune?

Remember singing this version mid seventies.

Poor performance from us yesterday on many levels. Perhaps we looked at the team sheet for Dundee Untd and thought the game was already won. I admit its hard to play against teams that are well organised but this was a team heavily disrupted by COVID and a few youths thrown into the biggest day of their lives. 

Hagi - I have no idea what was going on with him yesterday. End of game rabona right out the park apart. He was dreadful. I am a massive fan of Hagi, but yesterday he looked like a drunk chasing a balloon in a bouncy castle. Couldn't stay on his feet, couldn't trap a ball. Struggled to find a team mate. One to forget.

The back 4 - not sure if it was a ploy to disrupt Dundee U but the bizarre change at 2 mins of Bassey back to CB and Tav to RB was a bit off.

Midfield - Not sure why the manager decided to put Lundstram as the deepest sitting mid, then changed to Kamara when neither player was getting anything productive. Airfield was quiet and not getting into the box like he usually does. I don't see a long-term future for Lundstram here, I just don't see how he fits in but think he was unfortunate yesterday to be the player taken off for Wright to come on.

Forward- Morelos was reverting back to his old back habit of dropping too deep and spending too much time wide. Probably because he was crowded out the box by Dundee U. Get between the posts, in the box and lead the line pls Fredo.

The penalty - stonest of stonewallers. No idea what the defender was doing but I'll take it. Put away very well by the captain.

Few days off now for the players, lets reset, recharge our batteries and come back strong for St Mirren.

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Forward- Morelos was reverting back to his old back habit of dropping too deep and spending too much time wide

IMO he was getting no service from the others and HAD to go chasing the ball,overall a poor performance from the team but happy to take 3 points.

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Hagi - I have no idea what was going on with him yesterday. End of game rabona right out the park apart. He was dreadful. I am a massive fan of Hagi, but yesterday he looked like a drunk chasing a balloon in a bouncy castle. Couldn't stay on his feet, couldn't trap a ball. Struggled to find a team mate. One to forget.

The back 4 - not sure if it was a ploy to disrupt Dundee U but the bizarre change at 2 mins of Bassey back to CB and Tav to RB was a bit off.

Midfield - Not sure why the manager decided to put Lundstram as the deepest sitting mid, then changed to Kamara when neither player was getting anything productive. Airfield was quiet and not getting into the box like he usually does. I don't see a long-term future for Lundstram here, I just don't see how he fits in but think he was unfortunate yesterday to be the player taken off for Wright to come on.

I thought Hagi played a lot better in the second half when he was playing more in the middle.

I read that the back 4 change was due to Dundee Utd having a different formation than expected, but I think it was partly Tav looking uncertain in the middle.

Kamara looked lost in the attacking midfield position so he was moved back and Lundstram pushed up. Both are defensive midfielders so neither looked comfortable playing as part of the attacking midfielders. Lundstram looked OK when he was playing as the defensive midfielder and is cover for that position but he can't play as one of the attackers in the midfield V that Gio seems to like.

52 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I thought Hagi played a lot better in the second half when he was playing more in the middle.

I read that the back 4 change was due to Dundee Utd having a different formation than expected, but I think it was partly Tav looking uncertain in the middle.

Kamara looked lost in the attacking midfield position so he was moved back and Lundstram pushed up. Both are defensive midfielders so neither looked comfortable playing as part of the attacking midfielders. Lundstram looked OK when he was playing as the defensive midfielder and is cover for that position but he can't play as one of the attackers in the midfield V that Gio seems to like.

I think we have two Kamaras on our books. One of them is fluid, sharp and effective in transitioning the ball to the attacking players. The other one, the one we've selected these last few weeks is hesitant, cautious, slows down play and can only function in a more withdrawn role where he has the constant option of safe passes backwards or sideways. We need to get rid of this guy and keep only the better Kamara.

We also seem to have two Hagis.... the dysfunctional winger and the creative advanced midfielder. I was interesting that GvB decided to play them both on Saturday but declined to field them at the same time.