What a great year for music.

My favourite album, Exile On Main Street, was released and there's a load of other classics that turn 50 in 2022.

Here's a list of my favourites:

Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach.

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall...

Can - Ege Bamyasi.

Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now.

Ry Cooder - Boomer's Story.

Funkadelic - America Eats Its Young.

Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace.

Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man.

Humble Pie - Smokin'.

King Crimson - Earthbound.

Van Morrison - St Dominic's Preview.

The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street.

Stephen Stills - Manassas.

War - The World Is A Ghetto.

Weather Report - I Sing The Body Electric.

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book.

Neil Young - Harvest.

I think I was born too late.

Any older Bears have other favourites or any other moments of note (musical or otherwise) from 1972 (ECWC notwithstanding)?

Edited by Gonzo79

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

My favourite album, Exile On Main Street, was released and there's a load of other classics that turn 50 in 2022.

Can - Ege Bamyasi.

Humble Pie - Smokin'.

Neil Young - Harvest.

Any older Bears have other favourites or any other moments of note (musical or otherwise) from 1972 (ECWC notwithstanding)?

Panned on its release, On The Corner by Miles Davis really should be included. 

I mean who else was doing

"Stockhausen plus funk plus Ornette Coleman."?

12 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Can - Ege Bamyasi.

Humble Pie - Smokin'.

Neil Young - Harvest.

You are so right. The seventies is the seminal era for me. Think you could have added Steely Dan to the list though...

15 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Can - Ege Bamyasi.

Humble Pie - Smokin'.

Neil Young - Harvest.

Born in 1968 I didn't really start listening to and appreciating music until late 70s and early 80s so my influences were from a different era and genre. However, now appreciate music from all eras and genres some great albums on this list. I'd say the following also worthy of a a mention 🙂

Joni Mitchell – For the Roses
Black Sabbath – Vol. 4
Lou Reed – Transformer
Roxy Music – Roxy Music
Aretha Franklin – Young, Gifted and Black

Back in the day, I used to pin concert tickets to my bedroom wall. When I left the parental home for University, my Mother took them down and placed the several dozen pastel shaded pieces of paper into an old cigar box. When Mum passed a couple of years ago, the cigar box was a surprise find in the attic. Prices to see a band plus support in the early 70s at Greens Playhouse - Apollo, Glasgow varied between ten bob and £1.50. We all had Saturday jobs/paper rounds and It was just affordable to see a gig.

My earliest ticket is the Rolling Stones March'71 and it cost 19 shillings and sixpence(97.5p). During 1972, I saw Free in February, Mott the Hoople in April, the Faces in June, Stone the crows in September and, the Average White Band in December. I have a memory of my best mucker having two tickets for Bowie but the concert was cancelled. Further, failing memory also has Billy Preston backing the Stones but I saw them again in '73 and do not remember any support; thus could Billy have backed the Stones in '73 too?

My favourite gig of the above was the Average White Band. Anyone interested in six Scots lads doing proper soul, check out You Tube's recordings of AWB playing LIVE on Soul Train in 1975. Live performers on Soul Train were Hens' Teeth. There is also great footage of AWB doing the Crusaders, Put it where you want it' live on the Old Grey Whistle Test in January'73.

As stated the prices were reasonable and you would attend gigs with mates where the band performing was necessarily one of your faves(it was reciprocated when you dragged them along to your choice). I saw a number of questionable bands over the years because of this arrangement. In 1972, I saw Hawkwind at the City Halls, Glasgow; the highlight being the space cadets surrounding me at the gig. Lemmy had a few interesting warts on his visog and the heavy breasted Dancer at the front of the stage was an enjoyable distraction.

There was a strong rumour that Curtis Mayfield was coming to the UK to play a live concert for TOGWT. He was looking for a warm up gig and flying into Prestwick. The QM Union was most likely and as a 15 year old schoolboy, I was prepared to kill. I had a cousin attending Glasgow Uni' and as there were no photographs on Matriculation Cards issued in 1971, I was willing to move on up; even though the Christian name on the card was, 'Elizabeth'. I don't know if Curtis played Glasgow in 1972? 

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

Born in 1968 I didn't really start listening to and appreciating music until late 70s and early 80s so my influences were from a different era and genre. However, now appreciate music from all eras and genres some great albums on this list. I'd say the following also worthy of a a mention 🙂

Joni Mitchell – For the Roses
Black Sabbath – Vol. 4
Lou Reed – Transformer
Roxy Music – Roxy Music
Aretha Franklin – Young, Gifted and Black

me too, born in 1972, so the new wave of punk and NWOBHM were my influences to escape 80s pop, but i had a great time.. and still do, exploring the early 70s with Sabbath, Zeppelin, Dust, Hawkwind and Motorhead and being favs on the heavy side and post 76, The Ramones, Damned, Pistols, UK Subs and Cock Sparrer my punk favs with special mention to the Wedding Present :)