The situation with Djokovic and the Australian authorities is an interesting one.  He has had Covid twice, most recently in December.  As far as I'm aware 'The Science' says he's immune and no threat to anyone.

This incident demonstrates that the quest for power in many quarters has been encouraged by the pandemic.  

There are some who appear to be content living in a world where our everyday activities are watched and dictated to by those in power.  I'm glad someone like Djokovic has challenged this and hope he goes on to retain the Australian Open title.

Happy Lets Go GIF by Tennis TV  

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

There are some who appear to be content living in a world where our everyday activities are watched and dictated to by those in power.  I'm glad someone like Djokovic has challenged this and hope he goes on to retain the Australian Open title.

Happy Lets Go GIF by Tennis TV

I quite like the stance he is taking too.

I've heard some sad stories about people getting vaccinated just to avoid the inconvenience that will be imposed upon them.

I heard about one fellow in particular who went out and got vaccinated to get a pass for the football. Spineless behaviour.

5 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Then you read things like this and makes you wonder if for an athlete its worth the risk.

Do you mean the risk of travel restrictions (and impact on his career) or the risk of illness due to Covid (genuine question)?

14 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

The situation with Djokovic and the Australian authorities is an interesting one.  He has had Covid twice, most recently in December.  As far as I'm aware 'The Science' says he's immune and no threat to anyone.

He allegedly tested positive in December but if he was relying on testing positive (which he did on 16 Dec) as his exemption to get into Australia and the exemptions had to be registered on 10 Dec, then how did he manage that?

If he tested positive on 16 Dec, then why did he appear unmasked at multiple indoor events on 16, 17 and 18 Dec, some with kids attending?

The whole thing stinks.

9 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

exemptions had to be registered on 10 Dec

His exemption was granted on 30th December, by Tennis Australia and the regional authority.

Either there's been some dodgy stuff going on behind closed doors or the authorities have made a cock-up (perhaps intentionally).  

32 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Do you mean the risk of travel restrictions (and impact on his career) or the risk of illness due to Covid (genuine question)?

On the impact of his career I assume he has legal obligations with sponsors etc to fulfil attendance in these tournaments. If he decided to not bother attempting to play due to his vaccination status would this make him liable to them in any way? At least if he tries to attend but is refused by the host nation he has done his part.

In the link of the athlete being diagnosed with Myocarditis after 3 vaccinations and being unable to compete due to the condition. That's not to say an athlete cant contract covid and develop Myocarditis as a result of the infection. Its a tricky one and i know many professional athletes have declined to take the vaccine due to the risks of side effects.

I am in favour of vaccines myself and have had two. Will take the booster at the end of the month. But as long as I can sit at a desk I can earn. Not really the same for an athlete so can understand the hesitance in getting fully vaccinated. 

33 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

His exemption was granted on 30th December, by Tennis Australia and the regional authority.

Either there's been some dodgy stuff going on behind closed doors or the authorities have made a cock-up (perhaps intentionally).  

But the application had to be in by 10 Dec, as I understand it.

Yeah, it looks as if there's some dodgy stuff going on and the authorities have cocked up.