Britain alone brought this whole trade to an end through a fantastic exercise’

If you remember 18 months past, the Green Brigade chose a Saturday morning to go around the city centre changing road signage. Several groupings began at 4 in the morning, equipped with extending ladders they removed signs from city centre corners and, affixed new more appropriate street signs in place. Further, they attacked and damaged a number of statues in and around the city centre too. The usual suspects supported these actions whereas Police Scotland took no action. Angela Haggerty Tweeted her pride in her fellow Sellik supporters.

The media coverage focused on the damage done to the equestrian statue of William iii but they deliberately ignored the attacks on the Statue of John Knox. It's the type of delicious irony we associate with the Green Brigade and their numerous supporters in the print and broadcast media, there is one statue in Glasgow erected in homage to a slave. Yep, John Knox was a Galley Slave of the French for two years and, those brave Bhoys of the Green Brigade attacked it. 

Why can't we receive an objective and comprehensive history of slavery?

2 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

If you remember 18 months past, the Green Brigade chose a Saturday morning to go around the city centre changing road signage. Several groupings began at 4 in the morning, equipped with extending ladders they removed signs from city centre corners and, affixed new more appropriate street signs in place. Further, they attacked and damaged a number of statues in and around the city centre too. The usual suspects supported these actions whereas Police Scotland took no action. Angela Haggerty Tweeted her pride in her fellow Sellik supporters.

The media coverage focused on the damage done to the equestrian statue of William iii but they deliberately ignored the attacks on the Statue of John Knox. It's the type of delicious irony we associate with the Green Brigade and their numerous supporters in the print and broadcast media, there is one statue in Glasgow erected in homage to a slave. Yep, John Knox was a Galley Slave of the French for two years and, those brave Bhoys of the Green Brigade attacked it. 

Why can't we receive an objective and comprehensive history of slavery?

Because it would challenge one of the key pillars of Critical Race Theory, namely that of white privilege and inherited racial guilt. 

No matter that part of the ending of slavery was an attempt to stop the inter tribe slavery that was present in West Africa long before the white man arrived to take advantage of the situation and continued after the trade was outlawed in Britain in 1807. It also wouldn't serve to highlight the way Britain then worked on treaties with other European powers to end their own trades, some being larger than Britain's own. 

Some information just dosen't fit the narrative. 

I remember Bernie Grant (remember him) getting his arse kicked on radio by a historian who knew exactly the origins of slavery, who was invloved and how it was stopped. I had hoped Bernie learnt something but wouldn't have bet my house on it. 

I once asked an associate who has an obsession with the Atlantic slave trade if it's okay to pin some of the blame on the Africans who sold the slaves to the traders.

I was advised it's incomparable to what the traders were doing, so no, we can't.  

The pseudo-liberal desire to focus only on the bad actions of Europeans is a bit odd.  Why not admit our forebears did some great stuff and some awful stuff and loads in between.  Much like any other race.  

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I once asked an associate who has an obsession with the Atlantic slave trade if it's okay to pin some of the blame on the Africans who sold the slaves to the traders.

I was advised it's incomparable to what the traders were doing, so no, we can't.  

The pseudo-liberal desire to focus only on the bad actions of Europeans is a bit odd.  Why not admit our forebears did some great stuff and some awful stuff and loads in between.  Much like any other race.  

Self-loathing is a powerfully addictive obsession of the middle class liberal.