22 minutes ago, compo said:

A nice wee visit a pint and a pair of smokies 

Spent loads of time in Arbroath as a kid on family holidays. Remember my Dad taking me to see Arbroath v Arbroath Vics friendly with George Best playing. 

Then in mid-80s our supporters bus would stop on Arboath on way to and way home from Aberdeen - some great nights but bus always smelt a bit "fishy" as every one on it had bought smokies 😀

Latterly a couple of trips for SC games and off course as part of our journey back through the league's. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

My memory vaguely tells me I've been to Arbroath to watch Rangers. Have they been in the top tier before or am I hallucinating?

Albert Henderson managed Arbroath for nearly 20 years, creating a number of very watchable footballing teams. They won promotion to Scotland's top tier twice, spending four seasons in the top flight. In the early 70s, the Lichties had an exciting front three of John Fletcher, Billy Pirie and, Tommy Walker; deservedly defeating Rangers 2-3 at Ibrox in 1974.

My first visit to Gayfield was in 1968, Colin Stein had just signed and his debut was against Arbroath, scoring a hat-trick in a 1-5 victory.

4 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Albert Henderson managed Arbroath for nearly 20 years, creating a number of very watchable footballing teams. They won promotion to Scotland's top tier twice, spending four seasons in the top flight. In the early 70s, the Lichties had an exciting front three of John Fletcher, Billy Pirie and, Tommy Walker; deservedly defeating Rangers 2-3 at Ibrox in 1974.

My first visit to Gayfield was in 1968, Colin Stein had just signed and his debut was against Arbroath, scoring a hat-trick in a 1-5 victory.

It could well have been around 1968 right enough. Like Compo I remember it being cold as Sturgeons tits but there again most footy grounds are. Sadly all other details must have been blown out to sea.

15 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

I was at Arbroath as well that day, right behind the goal. Stein scored his hat trick in about 5 minutes.