[FT] Aberdeen 1 - 1 Rangers (Hagi 20)

I'm gutted with the result, but Aberdeen are one of those sides that we can't quite get the better of, no matter how shite they are. They are a bogey side of ours and they only play against us. 

Over the course of a season, getting a draw at Pittodrie is not the end of the world. 

Perhaps it's the need to explain a relatively poor showing last night but I think we are grossly overstating the importance of Joe Aribo, albeit he is in a particularly rich vein of form at the moment. The truth is that while Joe is an important part of our best eleven, that's all he is. If our fortunes depend on the presence or absence of one player then it will be a long time before we win anything again. 

58 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I’m struggling to put my finger on why that was so bad.

Fifty-odd years watching us at Pittodrie told me our midfield set up was far too thin for the challenge we knew we would face. Our defence generally played well, as did Morelos - everything in between was completely outgunned. 

14 minutes ago, compo said:

One of the more worrying things was our mangers inability to see how things were developing and change the setup. 

Must do better. 

I thought that too really. It didn’t seem like anything was done to change things tactically.

In terms of the subs I thought Lundstram for Wright was an overly defensive sub and, I think Sakala would have made it easier for us to breakaway and provide some relief, as well as closing them down higher up the park. Morelos looked knackered by that point too and a fresh Itten would have contributed more. These things wouldn’t have solved the performance but I thought it was clear we needed to freshen the front players up and make sure we still had a breakaway threat. 

Edited by DMAA

As a Club we have three midfielders we can rely upon to put their foot on the ball and, get their heads up. Players that control the tempo and conduct of a match :

1 Joe Aribo - currently participating in ACON with Nigeria and he won't be back available until after the game at Sellik Park.

2. Ryan Jack - injured since February last year and his comeback has already experience a couple of set backs.

3 Steve Davis - appeared to be out of the manager's plans in a most busy December, genuinely surprised to hear of his injury on Tuesday. Do we know the nature of the injury and how long it will last?

Last night an energised Aberdeen pushed us back, maintained a high press and, squeezed the game. We attempted to get the passing game going continually but kept giving the ball away because Sands and Kamara played most of the game facing their own goals. At Tynecastle last month, we cut out the midfield with long diagonals and quickly went two up. There was a couple of attempts last night but not nearly enough. We had to turn Aberdeen and move the entire team up the pitch. The main threat was the constant supply of crossed balls into the box, McGregor had one save last evening.

We need one of the three above in the team.